Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New Pool and high Ph concerns

1. Back To Top    #1

New Pool and high Ph concerns

I have a new pool, 12,500 gal. gunite pool with a 40 yard sandstone stream that drops 17 feet over 7 landings into the pool. Pool has been filled for about 1 month and the water is looking perfect however I have to add 1/2 gallon of Muriatic 5 times per week to keep the ph at 8 or slightly lower. Chlorine varies from 1-3. I have recently, yesterday, gotten the total alkalinity to 100 and am trying to keep it that way.
    I was hoping that there is some explanation from some of you seasoned pros that might help me understand this issue and/or do I have a problem. Thanks for any advice.
    Pat
    12,500 gallon Gunite salt water pool with 40 yard long sandstone stream with 7 falls circulated from pool with 3 HP Hayward variable speed motor. Hayward: OmniLogic controller, chlorination, swim clear cartridge filter, HP3120T Heatpro heat and cool pump, ColorLogic lighting. Opened 7/15/2015.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New Pool and high Ph concerns

Welcome to TFP!!!

Aeration causes the pH to rise. You have a LOT!!! of aeration along a 40 yard stream and 7 waterfalls. Thus, your pH is always going to be rising. Ideally you should keep the pH below 8 at all times to avoid scaling issues.

You might be able to slow the rise down some if you get teh TA closer to 60-70ppm and then add borates.

What are the rest of your test results?
    Specifically, what is your CYA? That is what determines the required FC level to keep your pool algae free according to the FC/CYA Chart.

Have you discovered Pool School yet? Start with these:
    ABCs of Water Chemistry
    Recommended Pool Chemicals
    How to Chlorinate Your Pool
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

Maybe some pictures would help..... (I'd love to see your pool!)

Maybe one of those automatic feeders would be good if you are adding that often.
    26' X 52" Intex Ultra Frame. Intex Sand Filter
    26' X 52 Intex Ultra Frame Install
    You can lead a horse to (clear) water, but you can't force him to swim in it!

4. Back To Top    #4

Along with the aeration causing a rise in the pH, your new pool itself is still curing. It can take months to settle down so in that time your MA requirements will probably be higher than normal.

I too would love to see a pic~
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

5. Back To Top    #5

The acid thirst sounds normal for a new pool with curing plaster and that much aeration and high TA.

And I want to see a picture of this thing.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

6. Back To Top    #6

Pat
    12,500 gallon Gunite salt water pool with 40 yard long sandstone stream with 7 falls circulated from pool with 3 HP Hayward variable speed motor. Hayward: OmniLogic controller, chlorination, swim clear cartridge filter, HP3120T Heatpro heat and cool pump, ColorLogic lighting. Opened 7/15/2015.

7. Back To Top    #7

Pat

8. Back To Top    #8

Thanks for the response and the help. I believe this site will get me there over time.
    Here are the days testing results.
    Ph- 8.2 will add acid.
    Chl. - 1.0
    T/A - 100
    C/H - 275
    cya - 45
    Pat

9. Back To Top    #9

Your chlorine is too low for that CYA. Algae could be immanent.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by pat2bears View Post
    That slide looks a bit bumpy to me

And Jason is correct, your FC is too low. Forget the markings on the test block. "Ideal" for 45 CYA is 4 to 8 FC. You don't want algae. Scrubbing out that stream would be a huge workout.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

11. Back To Top    #11

Thanks Jason,
    So I guess I need to raise the chlorinator %, what number should I consider as ideal for my situation?
    As far as the CYA do I need to attempt to raise it chemically?
    Thanks Pat
    Pat

12. Back To Top    #12

Jason,
    I been studying the FC/CYA chart you sent me a reference to. It shows CYA at a minimum for my SWG pool to be 70, is that correct? Also at 70 it shows ch. needs to be 3? Does this mean I need to raise the CyA chemically and turn up the % on the chlorinator till I acheive the TC of 4?
    BTW salt is 3200.
    Pat
    Pat

13. Back To Top    #13

Thanks Richard,
    Any help you have with the above two question would be appreciated.
    Pat
    Pat

14. Back To Top    #14

Quote Originally Posted by pat2bears View Post
    Thanks Richard,
    Any help you have with the above two question would be appreciated.
    Pat
    I missed the SWG part.

Yes, you should raise the CYA and also increase the run time on the SWG so that you never dip below the minimum FC listed on the FC/CYA chart. That part is mostly trial-and-error.

15. Back To Top    #15

Pat, they may not have realized you had a SWCG when they gave you recommendations. They will be back. I am not ready to possibly give out bad advice.

BTW, love the pool

Free form 17X30. 14,500 Gal. Pentair sand filter and 1.5 hp pump. Aqua-Rite SWCG. TF-100 Test Kit w/Speed Stir

16. Back To Top    #16

Quote Originally Posted by Richard320 View Post
    I missed the SWG part.

Yes, you should raise the CYA and also increase the run time on the SWG so that you never dip below the minimum FC listed on the FC/CYA chart. That part is mostly trial-and-error.
    Richard,
    My SWG is controlled by the Omnilogic not a timer. I had it set to 15% because my pool builder suggested that. I will boost it up 25% and test to see how long it takes to get to 4 and then level off the %. I think the % is either amount amperage all the time or run time but accomplishes the same thing.
    You folks are great. My pool builder was off on some of the suggestions plus most of the books are way off.
    Thanks Pat
    Pat

17. Back To Top    #17

Here are today's numbers tested and retested!
    Only addition was acid and raising the % on the chlorinator. Wanted to give accurate numbers before any more advice.
    T Chl.- 3
    F Chl. 2-3
    Ph. 7.8
    TA - 90
    Cal. H. - 300
    CYA - 35

Looks like I need 50 oz. of dry stabilizer, being safe, to get the CYA to 70.
    Pat

18. Back To Top    #18

Yes raising the CYA would be a good idea. Note that the percent setting is the amount of time the salt water generator is generating in a three hour period I believe.
    Jason, TFP Moderator