New here need help PLEASE

Jun 20, 2015
oshkosh
Hi
I just ordered the testing kit again. 1st time I got it I looked it over determined it was too complicated and sent it back. Now I ordered it again hoping you all will help me out.
While I'm waiting for test kit I've been struggling with green/cloudy water. I seem to get rid of the algae but them my water is cloudy. What can I do while I wait?
I have a 12,800 gallon intex above ground pool
Thanks for all you help

Sent from my LGUS990 using Tapatalk

Do you have any idea how much CYA your pool has? How long since your last water change and what have been using to chlorinate? Trichlor, dichlor shock, etc all raise your CYA so likely you have elevated cya and aren't maintaining your FC at the level needed for your CYA. If you suspect your CYA is high you can add half gallon of bleach a day until your kit arrives to try to keep the algae at bay.

Swg stands for salt water generator.

The best way to test CYA is with one of the two kits recommended on this forum. Of you've been using pucks then you've certainly got some cya in your pool so you'll need to get your fc up in the 5 to 6 range at least.

Add bleach! You'll need to SLAM your pool. However with CYA at 95 that will be alot of bleach. Do you have the means to do about a 50 to 60% drain and refill?

Otherwise you'll need to add 6 gallons of 8.25% bleach just to get started.

Then what, what? Are you going to drain, or are you going to try and maintain an FC of 39?

If you don't drain, then your target SLAM FC for 100 (95 rounded up) CYA is 39. Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart

You will then use pool math. Enter 12,481 gallons at the top for your size pool. Enter FC 0 for Now and FC 39 for Target. http://www.troublefreepool.com/calc.html

After you add the bleach, (apx 6 jugs of 121 oz 8.25% regular Chlorox or Great Value Bleach), wait 30 minutes to an hour and test your FC again. When adding bleach, especially this amount, do it slow (pencil size stream) and in front of a return of moving water. Brush the area that you add to make sure you disperse any that settled on the pool bottom.

After you test your FC, continue to use pool math, only changing the 0 to the new number you got from your test. Add bleach again the amount it says. Try to test every one to two hours until your FC doesn't drop drastically anymore. Then you can start testing every 2 to 4 hours. Keep your FC at 39, until:

1) Your water is crystal clear
2) Your CC is .5 or 0
3) You pass an OCLT (overnight chlorine loss test) where you don't lose more than 1ppm over night of FC

Once you pass the above, you can let your FC drop back down. It's imperative that you keep your FC at 39 or above at all times. The more you test the quicker it will go.

****IF you decide to do a water exchange then the above will change for your new CYA. Let's assume you drain 50%, bringing your CYA down to 50. Instead of a target FC of 39, it will be 20. For 20, instead of adding 6 jugs of bleach, you'll add 3 jugs of bleach, and keep your FC at 20 at all times.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
it's 8.25% not 85%. Most jugs will say on the label X.X% sodium hypochlorite. Don't use Splashless, Easy Pour, Scented. Just plain old bleach. Chlorox and Walmart Great Value bleach is 8.25% (not the GV Cleaning Bleach....it is only 6%). You can also go to Lowes or HD or a pool store and get 10 or 12% bleach, in which case you would enter that percentage in pool math and it will have you use less bleach.

It's printed on the label. If you don't see it on there, don't buy it. Also, no scents and no splashless. Just plain bleach. Concentrated is fine.

- - - Updated - - -

Being in WI you should be okay to do a 50% drain and fill. No water restriction there!

Ok so 6 jugs bleach in. FC at 87.5 CYA at 62. The calculator thing doesn't say anything. If I get this I don't do anything now and test again in an hour? Thank you so much for your help

Sent from my LGUS990 using Tapatalk

Hello Kienschi. I just looked through your notes here and wanted to help if I can as well. Your last post "FC at 87.5 CYA at 62", I think may be a bit off. If you used 6 gallons of 8.25% bleach, and your beginning FC was zero, then your new FC should be about 40-41. That's good if your CYA is rounded-up to 100 as noted earlier in your thread. But your last post showed a CYA of 62. (?) Was that a typo? That's very important so you know what FC to maintain.

You might want to double-check your figures on the calculator. When calculating for the FC, pay close attention to the top where you enter your pool capacity (gallons) and the bleach (%) percentage (8.25%). CYA we usually round up or down just like doing taxes.

So with 6 gallons of bleach in the water, now you keep the pump on 24/7. Sweep a couple times a day to stir things up, and clean the filter once a day as well. Check the FC every hour or two to make sure it never drops below your FC SLAM level. But please confirm your CYA for us so we can make sure you are at the correct FC level. :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.