New here need help PLEASE

Your numbers are all over the place and very confusing....you've reported cya of 95, 65 and now 40. Cya doesn't change with the addition of bleach so why are your numbers all over the place? We can't help you unless you're accurate with your tests and posts. At cya of 100 your slam is 39. At 65 it's 24. At 40 it's 16. So you see its impertive you give us good numbers and clear precise posts. Otherwise we're all guessing.

I just went through this process with my pool for the first time, and one thing I learned is that your CYA results may not be very accurate if you currently have a significant algae/clarity problem. The CYA test works based on the opacity (how clear) the resulting solution is. The cloudy water will add to the amount of CYA precipitation, and falsely increase your CYA reading. Maybe that's not a problem if you're going to try to SLAM it right now (your initial chlorine dose will just be higher than necessary), but you should recheck your CYA level once the clarity in your pool visibly improves.

The problem I ran into was that I based my water replacement on the false CYA level that I measured. So after I did the water replacement, I did the SLAM, and then I rechecked my CYA level. My CYA was actually less than half of what I thought it should be. So I actually had to add CYA back into the pool to get to the right level. (The wife was not happy to see me adding it back in after all of the trouble I went to to get it out!)

Given the AMAZING information on this site, it surprises me that I haven't seen anything about this CYA test interference.

I think the most important thing to validate at this point is to be absolutely sure about your current CYA. The number has gone from 90+, to 62, to 40, and that's a really big disparity to adjust and perform the SLAM properly. Plus, we don't want you to put more bleach in the pool than necessary and/or waste money. So just to be sure, below are some good notes about the CYA testing:
Proper lighting is important for the CYA test. You want to test for CYA outside on a sunny day, but keep the skinny view tube in the shade. Taylor recommends standing in the sun with your back to the sun and the view tube in the shade of your body. Use the mixing bottle to combine/mix the required amounts of pool water and R-0013 reagent, let sit for 30 seconds, then mix again. Then, while holding the skinny tube with the black dot at waist level, begin squirting the mixed solution into the skinny tube. Watch the black dot until it completely disappears. Once it disappears, record the CYA reading. After the first test, you can pour the mixed solution from the skinny view tube back to the mixing bottle, shake, and do the same test a second, third, or fourth time to instill consistency in your technique, become more comfortable with the testing, and validate the CYA reading.

Hi there.
See if watching this video helps you with that cya test...its a pita to get the hang of, but we need semi-repeatable results to determine both your drain and or slam levels.

You can also practice/repeat test by pouring the liquid back into the little botte and doing the reading over a few times without needing to remix it.

Testing Cyanuric Acid with the TF-100 - YouTube

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Kienschl,

If you were measuring the chlorine level every hour, you should have a pretty good feel for how much chlorine the pool has been consuming, and how much chlorine you have been adding each day. As you progress, the amount of chlorine should be less and less, but the history should give you a pretty good feel for how much you should add to stay in the same ballpark.

For example, if you were having to add 3 gallons of chlorine per day I would recommend adding a gallon in the morning and one in the evening. This should keep your chlorine close to where you want it, hopefully without going too high. And keep in mind that a "normal" amount of chlorine loss just from the sun would be in the range of 3-5ppm per day, so this would be the absolute minimum that you would need to add. Good luck!

But it took me until today to realize exactly where I needed my slam level to be. I went to our local pool store they wanted $20 for the small little bottle of it. Would it be bad to be over bleached?

Sent from my LGUS990 using Tapatalk

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.