Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New here need help PLEASE

1. Back To Top    #1

New here need help PLEASE

Hi
    I just ordered the testing kit again. 1st time I got it I looked it over determined it was too complicated and sent it back. Now I ordered it again hoping you all will help me out.
    While I'm waiting for test kit I've been struggling with green/cloudy water. I seem to get rid of the algae but them my water is cloudy. What can I do while I wait?
    I have a 12,800 gallon intex above ground pool
    Thanks for all you help

I have an intes metal frame above ground pool. It is 24 x 52 and has 12,481 gallons of water.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New here need help PLEASE

Do you have any idea how much CYA your pool has? How long since your last water change and what have been using to chlorinate? Trichlor, dichlor shock, etc all raise your CYA so likely you have elevated cya and aren't maintaining your FC at the level needed for your CYA. If you suspect your CYA is high you can add half gallon of bleach a day until your kit arrives to try to keep the algae at bay.
    18' x 38' Pool, 3' to 8' Depth
    Vinyl Liner
    SWG
    Variable Speed Pump
    Sand Filter

3. Back To Top    #3

I do not know what my CYA is, I'm not even sure how to test it. I use bleach and the 3in chlorine tabs in a floating thing. I've been reading so many posts what is SWG?

I have an intes metal frame above ground pool. It is 24 x 52 and has 12,481 gallons of water.

4. Back To Top    #4

Swg stands for salt water generator.

The best way to test CYA is with one of the two kits recommended on this forum. Of you've been using pucks then you've certainly got some cya in your pool so you'll need to get your fc up in the 5 to 6 range at least.
    Vinyl Liner
    SWG
    Variable Speed Pump
    Sand Filter

5. Back To Top    #5

Welcome to TFP if you are using bleach do not use the chlorine tabs. You will need to know your water chemistry before you move forward, but you should at least keep adding bleach daily until you get your test kit. SWG stands for saltwater generator. Go ahead and review this article Pool School - Pool School
    6280 Gal Intex 17' x 52" Metal Frame AG
    2500 GPH Filter Pump
    Intex Krystal clear SWG
    Taylor K-2005 With FAS-DPD Drop TEST KIT And Speedstir
    Intex Robot Pool Cleaner

6. Back To Top    #6

Ok just got my test kit here are my results
    FC 0
    PH 7.3
    CYA 95
    TA 100
    CH 200
    What do I do now

7. Back To Top    #7

Add bleach! You'll need to SLAM your pool. However with CYA at 95 that will be alot of bleach. Do you have the means to do about a 50 to 60% drain and refill?

Otherwise you'll need to add 6 gallons of 8.25% bleach just to get started.
    Vinyl Liner
    SWG
    Variable Speed Pump
    Sand Filter

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by robertmee View Post
    Add bleach! You'll need to SLAM your pool. However with CYA at 95 that will be alot of bleach. Do you have the means to do about a 50 to 60% drain and refill?

Ok, then what?

9. Back To Top    #9

Then what, what? Are you going to drain, or are you going to try and maintain an FC of 39?

If you don't drain, then your target SLAM FC for 100 (95 rounded up) CYA is 39. Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart

You will then use pool math. Enter 12,481 gallons at the top for your size pool. Enter FC 0 for Now and FC 39 for Target. http://www.troublefreepool.com/calc.html

After you add the bleach, (apx 6 jugs of 121 oz 8.25% regular Chlorox or Great Value Bleach), wait 30 minutes to an hour and test your FC again. When adding bleach, especially this amount, do it slow (pencil size stream) and in front of a return of moving water. Brush the area that you add to make sure you disperse any that settled on the pool bottom.

After you test your FC, continue to use pool math, only changing the 0 to the new number you got from your test. Add bleach again the amount it says. Try to test every one to two hours until your FC doesn't drop drastically anymore. Then you can start testing every 2 to 4 hours. Keep your FC at 39, until:

1) Your water is crystal clear
    2) Your CC is .5 or 0
    3) You pass an OCLT (overnight chlorine loss test) where you don't lose more than 1ppm over night of FC

Once you pass the above, you can let your FC drop back down. It's imperative that you keep your FC at 39 or above at all times. The more you test the quicker it will go.

****IF you decide to do a water exchange then the above will change for your new CYA. Let's assume you drain 50%, bringing your CYA down to 50. Instead of a target FC of 39, it will be 20. For 20, instead of adding 6 jugs of bleach, you'll add 3 jugs of bleach, and keep your FC at 20 at all times.
    Vinyl Liner
    SWG
    Variable Speed Pump
    Sand Filter

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by robertmee View Post

How do I know it is 85% bleach

11. Back To Top    #11

it's 8.25% not 85%. Most jugs will say on the label X.X% sodium hypochlorite. Don't use Splashless, Easy Pour, Scented. Just plain old bleach. Chlorox and Walmart Great Value bleach is 8.25% (not the GV Cleaning Bleach....it is only 6%). You can also go to Lowes or HD or a pool store and get 10 or 12% bleach, in which case you would enter that percentage in pool math and it will have you use less bleach.
    Vinyl Liner
    SWG
    Variable Speed Pump
    Sand Filter

12. Back To Top    #12

TFP Guide

It's printed on the label. If you don't see it on there, don't buy it. Also, no scents and no splashless. Just plain bleach. Concentrated is fine.

- - - Updated - - -

Being in WI you should be okay to do a 50% drain and fill. No water restriction there!
    Bob - Palm Beach by San Juan Pools. approx 5000 gals., Pentair 320 cartridge filter (all new guts installed by me), Goldline SWG, 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Intermec 104 Timer Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir

13. Back To Top    #13

Ok so 6 jugs bleach in. FC at 87.5 CYA at 62. The calculator thing doesn't say anything. If I get this I don't do anything now and test again in an hour? Thank you so much for your help

14. Back To Top    #14

Quote Originally Posted by Kienschl View Post
    Ok so 6 jugs bleach in. FC at 87.5 CYA at 62. The calculator thing doesn't say anything. If I get this I don't do anything now and test again in an hour? Thank you so much for your help

Sent from my LGUS990 using Tapatalk
    Is it just me or does 87.5 seem crazy high? Not really sure he got FC up that high, but I could be wrong...
    12000-ish In Ground, plaster, sand filter. New variable speed pump (Hayward I believe)

15. Back To Top    #15

Hello Kienschi. I just looked through your notes here and wanted to help if I can as well. Your last post "FC at 87.5 CYA at 62", I think may be a bit off. If you used 6 gallons of 8.25% bleach, and your beginning FC was zero, then your new FC should be about 40-41. That's good if your CYA is rounded-up to 100 as noted earlier in your thread. But your last post showed a CYA of 62. (?) Was that a typo? That's very important so you know what FC to maintain.

You might want to double-check your figures on the calculator. When calculating for the FC, pay close attention to the top where you enter your pool capacity (gallons) and the bleach (%) percentage (8.25%). CYA we usually round up or down just like doing taxes.

So with 6 gallons of bleach in the water, now you keep the pump on 24/7. Sweep a couple times a day to stir things up, and clean the filter once a day as well. Check the FC every hour or two to make sure it never drops below your FC SLAM level. But please confirm your CYA for us so we can make sure you are at the correct FC level.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

16. Back To Top    #16

I think I did multiply wrong but now my FC is 23.5

17. Back To Top    #17

Looks like my CYA is 40?

18. Back To Top    #18

First FC must have been 35 instead

19. Back To Top    #19

What is my SLAM level? 39?

20. Back To Top    #20

SLAM FC for a CYA of 40 is "16".
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast