PL-P-4-CUL water temperature sensor faulty?

JFB

LifeTime Supporter
May 13, 2013
Monréal, Québec, Canada
Hey'y'all!

As the title suggests, I think I may have a temperature sensor fault. My system is fully automated and has been functioning flawlessly for 3 years. The water temperature sensors were indicating what my SWG sensor was indicating within a few degrees and was always bang on my thermometer in the water. early this season, we had some good Thunderstorms that cut out the power a few times, and I seem to be having a temperature issue since then.

My SWG and water temperature sensor seem to be stuck at 82F. That's not a good thing since my solar heater valve is dependant on that sensor to know when to open the valve (when the water is cold) and when to close the valve (when the water is at 90F).

I didn't think it was a big problem because after I had noticed the problem a few weeks ago, I gave it a few days and went back to check the water temperature sensor in the PL-P-4-CUL unit. It was showing 87F... I thought: problem solved!!!

But for the last few days, it's still stuck at 82F. So I just went out now because it's been hot all day. I looked at my thermometer in the water, and it's showing 88F. What I find really weird is the fact that the SWG AND the water temperature sensor show 82F. They can't both be wrong can they? They must be, as the water is at 88F...

I tried looking through all the menus... no luck. My air sensor and solar sensor (identical temperature sensors) seem to be working fine as they are indicating as they should.

Should I just replace the water temperature sensor and hope for the best? What about the SWG temperature?

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks,

JF

Hmm, this is a weird one since the SWG and water sensors are completely separate and different from each other.
You could try swapping around the sensors (like the air and water) to see if the problem follow the sensor or if maybe something has gone wonky on the control board.

I would get another pool thermometer and double check it against the one in the pool. It is possible that two water sensors are bad but a higher percentage their aren't both broken.

I called the pool store.... Still under warranty from Hayward... I guess we'll find out soon enough! The water temperature sensor, I don't mind, cheap easy fix. The SWG is a little more worrisome (if I wasn't under warranty, of course)

I think I may install a surge protector on my panel after this...

Interesting...

I was googling the exact problem this morning and Google suggested this post for me. How ironic.

So my problem is back, after they fixed it. I believe the last time the circuit board was the culprit. I'm guessing it'll be the same this time around. I guess these boards only last 3 years...

Funny enough though, I swapped the temperature sensors and the error didn't necessarily follow the sensor.

The pool temp is at 84F-85F (measured with thermometer).
The Air sensor says 77F, the SWG sensor says water is at 77F, the water sensor says 82F, the solar sensor says 105F.

When I move the Solar sensor around to either water sensor or air sensor, the temperature still shows 105F, which leads me to believe the solar sensor is working fine and the pin connections for water and air sensors on the circuit board are also working fine.

BUT

When I swap the air sensor and the water sensor, I'm always getting 82F as a water temperature regardless of the sensor. This leads me to believe the board is faulty. It just baffles me that the solar sensor would show me the board is fine yet the other sensors show me it's not fine.

Would there be a better way to test this?

I have no ideas.

I will note that my solar sensor is reading ridiculously high this year even at night ( I had to turn off the solar valve just so it wouldn't run at night) maybe today I'll take my own advice and swap some of the wires around to see if their problem follows the sensor.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.