Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: PL-P-4-CUL water temperature sensor faulty?

1. Back To Top    #1

PL-P-4-CUL water temperature sensor faulty?

Hey'y'all!

As the title suggests, I think I may have a temperature sensor fault. My system is fully automated and has been functioning flawlessly for 3 years. The water temperature sensors were indicating what my SWG sensor was indicating within a few degrees and was always bang on my thermometer in the water. early this season, we had some good Thunderstorms that cut out the power a few times, and I seem to be having a temperature issue since then.

My SWG and water temperature sensor seem to be stuck at 82F. That's not a good thing since my solar heater valve is dependant on that sensor to know when to open the valve (when the water is cold) and when to close the valve (when the water is at 90F).

I didn't think it was a big problem because after I had noticed the problem a few weeks ago, I gave it a few days and went back to check the water temperature sensor in the PL-P-4-CUL unit. It was showing 87F... I thought: problem solved!!!

But for the last few days, it's still stuck at 82F. So I just went out now because it's been hot all day. I looked at my thermometer in the water, and it's showing 88F. What I find really weird is the fact that the SWG AND the water temperature sensor show 82F. They can't both be wrong can they? They must be, as the water is at 88F...

I tried looking through all the menus... no luck. My air sensor and solar sensor (identical temperature sensors) seem to be working fine as they are indicating as they should.

Should I just replace the water temperature sensor and hope for the best? What about the SWG temperature?

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks,

JF
    JF

13.5k gallons, IG, Vinyl, Hayward C3030 Cartridge, Hayward Tristar 3/4hp single speed, Hayward T-15 SWG, Hayward P4 automation, 234 sqft Solex Solar panels. April 2013 construction, Dolphin DX4 robot, TF-100 test kit, Pentair Deck Jets 2.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: PL-P-4-CUL water temperature sensor faulty?

Hmm, this is a weird one since the SWG and water sensors are completely separate and different from each other.
    You could try swapping around the sensors (like the air and water) to see if the problem follow the sensor or if maybe something has gone wonky on the control board.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

I just went out and swapped the water temperature sensor and the solar sensor. The error followed the sensor. What's still weird is that the SWG and "faulty" sensor are still indicating 82F.

Beyond my understanding....

Thoughts?
    JF

13.5k gallons, IG, Vinyl, Hayward C3030 Cartridge, Hayward Tristar 3/4hp single speed, Hayward T-15 SWG, Hayward P4 automation, 234 sqft Solex Solar panels. April 2013 construction, Dolphin DX4 robot, TF-100 test kit, Pentair Deck Jets 2.

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

I would get another pool thermometer and double check it against the one in the pool. It is possible that two water sensors are bad but a higher percentage their aren't both broken.
    Paul
    http://www.gastekservices.com A word of caution: When working with gas and electrical you might want to consider a licensed contractor. Consider the value of your life and others around you. If you would like to provide a review of the help I provided, please use the following link to leave a review. gastek - Google Search,

5. Back To Top    #5

I called the pool store.... Still under warranty from Hayward... I guess we'll find out soon enough! The water temperature sensor, I don't mind, cheap easy fix. The SWG is a little more worrisome (if I wasn't under warranty, of course)

I think I may install a surge protector on my panel after this...
    JF