Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: how much manganese is bad in a pool

1. Back To Top    #1

how much manganese is bad in a pool

Using well water for pool fill
    In the well water manganese is .09 ppm
    Is this too much? What is too much?
    Searched but could not find levels, maybe I missed
    IG under fir trees and one cherry surrounded by grass built in 1979, 30k, plaster, old Sta-Rite HRPB30, 4.9 sq.ft, 20 GPM/sq.ft., but with new glass, new (in 2012) 1 HP WhisperFlo one speed, new (in 2013) Rainbow tab chlorinator attached at the top, old Maxi-Flo Heat Exchanger MF-260, Burnham V7 oil heater 245 MBH, new (in 2012) Compool to Easytouch, Taylor K-2005 and TF-100.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: how much manganese is bad in a pool

We don't have a definitive level where staining would become a problem, mostly because it's far less common than iron and copper staining. Nevertheless, according to this paper the solubility of oxidized manganese as black/brown manganese dioxide (MnO2) is roughly 0.1 ppm Manganese at pH 7.0 and increases in solubility to 0.3 ppm at pH 8.4. This 0.1 ppm is also roughly the limit for when unoxidized manganese might precipitate as light gray manganese carbonate (MnCO3) at high pH (8.0). The manganese dioxide can also get oxidized by chlorine to permanganate ion (MnO4-) which is purple in color.

So I would bet that you are OK though on the edge at 0.1 ppm but note that if you use your well water for refilling after evaporation that the manganese level could climb over time.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

3. Back To Top    #3

Thank you, got it

We have had the well water tested. I think I will scoop up some pool water and have manganese measured.

If I pay the freight for manganese I might as well add iron and copper. Should I measure any others while at it?
    IG under fir trees and one cherry surrounded by grass built in 1979, 30k, plaster, old Sta-Rite HRPB30, 4.9 sq.ft, 20 GPM/sq.ft., but with new glass, new (in 2012) 1 HP WhisperFlo one speed, new (in 2013) Rainbow tab chlorinator attached at the top, old Maxi-Flo Heat Exchanger MF-260, Burnham V7 oil heater 245 MBH, new (in 2012) Compool to Easytouch, Taylor K-2005 and TF-100.

4. Back To Top    #4

For metals that can cause staining, those are the three to worry about.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by chem geek View Post
    For metals that can cause staining, those are the three to worry about.
    thanks, got it
    will order 'em up

6. Back To Top    #6

results are back
    Cu Fe and Mn are ND, not detectable; cool
    but a puzzle
    if the fill well water is .09 Mn how can the pool be ND Mn?

- - - Updated - - -

from the web
    "Essentially, the oxidizing agent (chlorine) causes rapid oxidation or "rusting" of the dissolved iron and manganese causing it to precipitate out of the water and turn into a solid particle. The particle is then mechanically filtered out of the water."
    maybe this is where the Mn went

7. Back To Top    #7

The oxidized manganese is still slightly soluble as I noted in my post so it shouldn't have precipitated and filtered out since you started with such a low level. If such testing were free, I'd send them a sample of your well water to see if they detect the 0.09 ppm manganese in it. At any rate, it sounds like you don't have anything to worry about.

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by chem geek View Post
    If such testing were free, I'd send them a sample of your well water to see if they detect the 0.09 ppm manganese in it. At any rate, it sounds like you don't have anything to worry about.
    Not free but not so much so will have well water re-tested.

Thank you.

9. Back To Top    #9

Mn value in well water returned, .057
    barely above established contamination level of .05
    will cease thinking about metals
    thank you all

10. Back To Top    #10

^ I want your well. Just sayin
    In ground extended Grecian, 22,000 gal, Hayward 220t sand filter, vinyl liner, dolphin m4 supreme.
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!
    Helpful Links:
    GET A TEST KIT Chlorine/CYA Chart How to SLAM About Metals & Stains