Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ready to get started

1. Back To Top    #1

Ready to get started

I just got the TF100 in the mail. My pool water is green and I am in need of help! What readings do I need to post to receive help? I do not have a desktop so I cannot build a profile, my pool is 18x36 Approx. 29k gallons IG Plaster.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Ready to get started

A complete set- FC, CC, CH, pH, CYA, TA

Bring us the numbers and we'll go from there.

Also, what have you been putting in the pool so far? How do you chlorinate?
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

3. Back To Top    #3

Set your numbers up like this please

FC
    CC
    Ch
    PH
    TA
    CYA

That makes it easier to read.

Since you cannot set up a siggy please put the pool in each post to help us help you.

Do you have bleach on hand to start your SLAM?

Lets get this party started!!!!
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Welcome!

You can do this. Besides test results, how about posting a picture? I'm always looking for good green-to-clean threads with pictures to go in my Inspirational Threads thread.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

I am finally able to test my pool water but is about to rain! Should I wait!?

6. Back To Top    #6

What is a little rain? LOL Lighting stay inside, rain go out and grab a sample.

The CYA might be hard for you to do as you will need sun but eveything else will work.

I hold a white plate behind my PH test and pull it back and forth to help me see the color better.

I do my tests at my stove a s I have a very bright light there. Just make sure you have good lighting where ever you test.

Kim

- - - Updated - - -

You can test your CYA just to see about what it is.
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

7. Back To Top    #7

I couldn't wait any longer so I took a sample. The levels are as follows...

FC .5
    CC.5
    CH 525
    PH 8.2
    TA 90
    CYA 40

I did my CYA test inside with good lighting. Can I count on it? This was my first time using my TF100. My wife laughed at how excited I was to use it!

I am dissapointed that my PH is so high. I had been using test strips and they obviously failed me....

Let me know what to do!

IG plaster Approx 29k gallons 18x36

I would post pics but I am on mobile.

8. Back To Top    #8

First things first...............get that PH down. It might be even higher.

Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals

Here is what to do for each thing. The one you are working on now is the getting the PH down.

Add the MA SLOWLY in front of the return with the pump running. Make sure to wear some eye protection and do NOT breath it in.

Let the pump run for 30 mins and retest. Do no be surprised if you see little lose. I am thinking it is going to take a couple/few tries to get it down.

-test, add, run pump 30 mins. Repeat as needed. to get the PH down to 7.3.

CYA should be okay for now.

Kim

9. Back To Top    #9

TFP Guide

Yup, get the pH down to 7.2-7.4 and be careful if using muratic acid as the fumes will choke you, literally. I like doing it at night as you can often see it smoke and see which way it's blowing. Try to stay upwind of your pour if at all possible.

If you're reading 8.2 you might 8.3 or 9 something. 8.2 is pretty much the max measurement. Don't be surprised if after adding you need to add more.

Maybe you could drop into a library and use their computer to do a profile of your pool and equip ??
    '70s IG Vinyl 32K gal, Lazy L, Hayward SuperPump 1.5hp 120V, S240 Sand Filter W/DE
    Solar Blanket, Well Water, Borax Added, TF-100 tester. ? too cold
    1979, 275gal Conway Emerald Spa P-100-2, ES-2 Spa Pack, bromine floater, indoor
    TF-100, Best test kit - TFTestkits.net
    Please help keep the lights on, become a TFP Supporter!

10. Back To Top    #10

I have a gallon of MA. How much should I start with?

11. Back To Top    #11

I get 78 ounces for a 29K plaster pool (via PoolMath) using 31.45% 20 baum MA
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by vol4life View Post
    I have a gallon of MA. How much should I start with?
    Half a gallon. And pour slowly in front of the return, so it spreads out instead of settling on the bottom. Probably wouldn't hurt any to make a few psses with the brush to disperse it faster, too.

Poolmath will do the math for you.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

13. Back To Top    #13

MA added and brushed. I wish I could show y'all how green it is. I am taking pics so I will post them when I get to a desktop and build my profile. Just imagine dark green lake water. That would be pretty close.

I will post new PH in a bit.

14. Back To Top    #14

PH down to 7.5

Added just a bit more MA. I'll post back numbers after dinner!

15. Back To Top    #15

Sweet! Then we will talk about your next step.

16. Back To Top    #16

can you also test your fill water now please?

Kim

17. Back To Top    #17

TFP Guide

What device are you using to access this site? I can try out different things and see how you can post pics.
    Bob - Palm Beach by San Juan Pools. approx 5000 gals., Pentair 320 cartridge filter (all new guts installed by me), Goldline SWG, 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Intermec 104 Timer Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir

18. Back To Top    #18

PH is down to 7.2-7.3.

Which test do I do for my fill water? Just PH or the whole thing?

I am using an android mobile device.

19. Back To Top    #19

Quote Originally Posted by vol4life View Post
    Which test do I do for my fill water? Just PH or the whole thing?
    Everything except cya. There is no cya in fill water.
    TF-100 Test Kit
    22,000 gallon, 20x40 kidney-shape IG plaster pool built in 1986
    Nautilus NS-36 DE filter, Hayward Self Prime Super Pump 1HP
    Polaris Automatic Pool Cleaner, PB4-60 3/4 HP pump

20. Back To Top    #20

TFP Guide

Okay. On your android device you should have the option to see the desktop site. Try selecting that and then see if you can post a pic.
    Bob - Palm Beach by San Juan Pools. approx 5000 gals., Pentair 320 cartridge filter (all new guts installed by me), Goldline SWG, 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Intermec 104 Timer Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast