Return Pipe Upgrades ?

Jul 30, 2015
UK
Guys,

I've only had my pool a few weeks and whilst I know I don't have a clue & I'm sure the Intex guys know their stuff, I'm suprised at how close together the pump inlet and outlets are on the pool. I'm also suprised that the return is as high as it is. Is there a particular reason for it?

I am planning to put a hayward skimmer in next season and having read the thread Homemade Skmmer I wondered if it would be better to not use the standard Inlet/Outlet and build a return that would be lower in the pool.

Is it worth considering? Have others done anything similar?

Thanks in advance
:D

The idea with return high and close to the outlet is that this creates a circular flow, a vortex that makes the entire body of water circulate. You do this by pointing the return eye away from the outlet and towards the bottom of the pool at a 45 degree angle. I.e. if you are standing outside the pool with the outlet on your right and the return on your left, point the eye left and down to create a clockwise circulation.

I am confused with your terminology of return and outlet. You might mean opposite what we usually say as those terms depend on your point of view.

Clearer to say suction line and return jet. ;)

Thanks.

Still a noob and don't have my terminology down.

Suction line is from pool to pump and return is pump to pool? Is that correct?

That is correct. See you're getting the hang of it. :whoot:
A return "returns" the water to the pool and the outlet lets the water "out" of the pool.
That's how I thought of it when I first started out.

Watch out though. Hang around here too long and you will contract "sparklypoolitis."
There is no cure for it. Only thing that seems to help is more cowbell.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.