Trouble with low salt light because of white build up on plates

ljd

Aug 9, 2015
Bromide ok
I have swg 8110 . I can not get it to stay on because of the plates having build up I have tries the vinegar solution it works temporarily. I have extremely hard water ALOT of lime .i don't know if that's the issue or not . It worked fine for about a week .now it's a daily task ..there has to be a better solution

Welcome, You have some GOOD reliable test results we can look at on your water chemistry? Your PH should be KEPT at the lower end of the range, say 7.2 or 7.3 to prevent calcium scaling. Diluted muriatic acid is the recommended cleaning agent btw.

Dilute it 2 to 1 water to acid. Scrape off as much as you can with like a popsicle stick to minimize the time in the solution. Whatever solution you use to clean it with degrades the coating on those plates every time you do, which is why we stress proper water chemistry the best you can manage it. I bet that little nugget ain't in your manual!

Your Ph is fine. What is fine?

FC between 0 and 0.5-------not FINE at all!---I'll bet even money you have an algae blossom-----even if you can't see it.

Alkalinty and calcium are two separate issues.

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

You are using test strips aren't you? That is not going to cut it, they are garbage.

You need to invest in one of the Recommended Test Kits if you want to take control.

Depending on how high the CH truly is, will help determine where you need to hold the pH level.
And depending on how high you CYA level is, will determine the FC levels you MUST maintain to prevent algae. See the FC/CYA Chart.

Have you discovered Pool School yet? Start with these:
ABCs of Water Chemistry
Recommended Pool Chemicals
How to Chlorinate Your Pool

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.