Backwash hoses

Aug 3, 2015
San Antonio
I just got done with a drain and refill. I had a couple of the flat plastic cheap hose for taking it to the street. I need about 150' to make this happen.

At 8pm I was blowing out the previous owners hoses and splitting them down the middle. I was cutting, mending, splicing to make it work. Made an emergency trip to Lowes to get one and a backup. Those came brand new with pin hole leaks. Great. Splice mend again.

I was coming off of the main floor drain with a 1 hp pump. If I closed off the returns it would split them every time. So I learned to keep them open.

Has anyone else experienced this? Is there a place to get a more substantial hose for future endeavors?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

While they don't seem overly durable, the backwash hose you get from pool supply places (or Lowe's, etc) would certainly work at first.

There is nothing that says you can't size your hard plumbing down to a spigot and use a garden hose. Your pressure will get pretty high but the hose can stand it and is more durable then a regular backwash hose.

Of courser, buried 1.5" hard PVC is the best.

No chance of running hard PVC line to your discharge site?

I'm lucky in that mine is hard piped directly to a dried up creek area in the back of my property. The backwash I rarely do seems to keep it lush green though? Go figure

Check out used fire hoses on ebay, you can often get a 75-100 ft 1.5 inch fire hose that is out of certified date range (20 or 25 years I think) for $30-$50, many times these hoses were never used and just sat in an emergency fire cabinet. If you make sure they have the same end fittings (there are more than one standard, particularly on older hoses, NH or NST are the most common), for the connection you can buy a NPT to NST plastic thread adapter off ebay for about $10-$15 or you can just cut an end off and use it with a hose barb like one of the cheap blue hoses.

While they don't seem overly durable, the backwash hose you get from pool supply places (or Lowe's, etc) would certainly work at first.

There is nothing that says you can't size your hard plumbing down to a spigot and use a garden hose. Your pressure will get pretty high but the hose can stand it and is more durable then a regular backwash hose.

Of courser, buried 1.5" hard PVC is the best.

As I stated the Lowes ones split easily. They are ****.

If I downsized it to a hose and run it off of the pump what would the back pressure do to the pump? There will be no burying in the near future. I have enough projects for the little time I have. I will look into the fire hoses.

Check out used fire hoses on ebay, you can often get a 75-100 ft 1.5 inch fire hose that is out of certified date range (20 or 25 years I think) for $30-$50, many times these hoses were never used and just sat in an emergency fire cabinet. If you make sure they have the same end fittings (there are more than one standard, particularly on older hoses, NH or NST are the most common), for the connection you can buy a NPT to NST plastic thread adapter off ebay for about $10-$15 or you can just cut an end off and use it with a hose barb like one of the cheap blue hoses.

Great stuff. I will check into it.

If I downsized it to a hose and run it off of the pump what would the back pressure do to the pump?
The pump doesn't care. It will max out around 40 psi regardless of how much restriction you put on it and it is a constant speed pump.

My guess is a 150 foot garden hose might bring it up close to that 40 psi but, again, it doesn't matter to the pump

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.