SLAM with cover on or off - does it matter?

Best to leave the cover off Bob.

- - - Updated - - -

Actually Bob, if you do a search, you'll see more explanations about the cover on/off during a SLAM. During the day, there is a belief that it will help retain some of your FC from the sun, thereby assisting with the SLAM. But the sun also burns-off combined chlorines, so the cover would interfere with that process. At night, there's no sense in covering since the sun is gone and the only thing that may be taking FC are organics. Some also fear the higher chlorine can be harmful to the cover fabric. Overall, the majority seem to agree that off is best. Hope that helps explain a little more.

Hi Bob,

I'm going to jump in here and say I think you would want to slam with cover off to allow sunlight to burn off CC. It will also burn off FC, though.

Since I don't have a summer cover, one of the pros will jump in here and give you a better solution

and Welcome To TFP :wave:

- - - Updated - - -

TS to the rescue :)

It is a topic that is around on the forum but usually hiding within a post of a different topic.

Anyway, I am a strong proponent of cover off for all the reasons above plus the convenience of not having to mess with a cover each time you are testing and dosing....which SHOULD be a lot.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.