Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: SLAM with cover on or off - does it matter?

1. Back To Top    #1

SLAM with cover on or off - does it matter?

I'm getting ready to SLAM. Any problems with leaving the cover on? Any benefits to leaving it off?

Thanks,

Bob
    Intex Ultra Frame 16 x 48 (5000 gal) - Fresh Fill on 7/13/15
    Intex Model ECO 20110 Sand Filter/SWG (2150 gph)
    Intex Deluxe Surface Skimmer
    TF-100 Test Kit, Taylor K-1766 Cloride Drop Test, LaMotte Borate Test Strips, Speed Stir

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: SLAM with cover on or off - does it matter?

Best to leave the cover off Bob.

- - - Updated - - -

Actually Bob, if you do a search, you'll see more explanations about the cover on/off during a SLAM. During the day, there is a belief that it will help retain some of your FC from the sun, thereby assisting with the SLAM. But the sun also burns-off combined chlorines, so the cover would interfere with that process. At night, there's no sense in covering since the sun is gone and the only thing that may be taking FC are organics. Some also fear the higher chlorine can be harmful to the cover fabric. Overall, the majority seem to agree that off is best. Hope that helps explain a little more.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

Hi Bob,

I'm going to jump in here and say I think you would want to slam with cover off to allow sunlight to burn off CC. It will also burn off FC, though.

Since I don't have a summer cover, one of the pros will jump in here and give you a better solution

and Welcome To TFP

- - - Updated - - -

TS to the rescue
    Si -central Mo. 32' x 16' -- 3'4" to 6' deep Vinyl liner - 16,500 Gals : Triton II filter -Duraglass 2 hp pump - 1 speed : SI-30 salt generator
    TF-100 with speedstir

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks to both of you. I'll run it with the cover off after a couple of FC/CC tests. I thought I did a decent search of the forum before posting on this topic, must have missed a keyword!
    Intex Ultra Frame 16 x 48 (5000 gal) - Fresh Fill on 7/13/15
    Intex Model ECO 20110 Sand Filter/SWG (2150 gph)
    Intex Deluxe Surface Skimmer
    TF-100 Test Kit, Taylor K-1766 Cloride Drop Test, LaMotte Borate Test Strips, Speed Stir

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

It is a topic that is around on the forum but usually hiding within a post of a different topic.

Anyway, I am a strong proponent of cover off for all the reasons above plus the convenience of not having to mess with a cover each time you are testing and dosing....which SHOULD be a lot.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School