Vinyl owners if pool leaks liner etc. where does it go?

Aug 4, 2015
Boston, MA
Hello all. So I patched 3 leaks yesterday. If a vinyl pool leaks as we are new owners of the property, where does the water actually leak to? Is there a cement barrier usually around the pool it leaks into? This is assuming puncture leak etc. at the pool level.

Hello all. So I patched 3 leaks yesterday. If a vinyl pool leaks as we are new owners of the property, where does the water actually leak to? Is there a cement barrier usually around the pool it leaks into? This is assuming puncture leak etc. at the pool level.

I believe most times the vinyl liner is in a steel shell. If it leaks it finds it's way through the steel shell and into the ground through seams, joints, holes etc. If you keep chasing leaks hire a detection service. Mine cost me $225 and was worth every penny!

Hello and welcome,

Any leaks from pool will go under the liner, generally. The problem comes if pool level gets low enough and depending on base material and your water table enough water under liner can cause it to "float" liner, causing wrinkles in the bottom off liner.

My inground vinyl has drain lines underneath, which allows me to pump water from underneath, which I sometimes use to "refill" my pool do to evaporation and splash out. You might look to see if you have such a setup.

Someone will probably come along to offer a better explanation

Hope that helps.. and again Welcome to TFP

- - - Updated - - -

To follow up on what ship of fools said, My pool has a metal frame around the perimeter with a sand base. I'm not sure what other types of setup are used, but someone will know ;)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.