New pool owner long time reader - Matrioux

Matrioux

Platinum Supporter
Jun 8, 2015
Charlotte, NC.
Hey all,

I've been reading and learning here since we decided it was time to own a pool. After many starts and stops in the process, we ended up buying a home with an existing 18,000 gallon in-ground. Thanks to all of the things I learned here (and my TF-100 kit) I was able to monitor the pool through the purchase process and had the kids swimming in it the day after we bought the house. I only needed to bump CL with bleach and lower PH with acid to make it a pleasant and safe first swim. Since then I have partially drained and refilled to get CYA down to 80 (was 120), cleaned the DE filter and replaced media to get a handle on what clean pressure should be, and bumped the SWCG run time to get CL levels where I want them.

By reading the things others were going though I was quickly able to get a handle on the pool and the way things work. The only hiccup I had was that the pool equipment is below the water line, so I had to quickly learn to cut off water flow using the jandy ports before emptying the pump basket!

Since any questions I have had had already been asked and answered by others (thank goodness for the search system) I am mostly lurking, but am constantly amazed by the people on the board and how they truly want everyone to succeed in making their pool trouble free. I look forward to helping to share what I have learned with others.

Hi Matrioux,

Boy you jumped into the game at full speed. Good for you. I've been a pool owner for over 20 years and finally found this place and stumbled around till Liza, Kim, and Patrick saved me :D.
For a new pool owner you're light years ahead of where I started. My hats off to you :bowdown: Also....... I must admit I'm a little jealous :oops:

Anyway congrats and Welcome to TFP :cheers:

I also am impressed with the way you've grabbed the reins of your pool and *owned it* :whip:

Welcome to the TFP way of pool care. It really doesn't get any easier than this. Congrats on the new home/pool.

Yippee :flower: