Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New pool owner long time reader - Matrioux

1. Back To Top    #1

New pool owner long time reader - Matrioux

Hey all,

I've been reading and learning here since we decided it was time to own a pool. After many starts and stops in the process, we ended up buying a home with an existing 18,000 gallon in-ground. Thanks to all of the things I learned here (and my TF-100 kit) I was able to monitor the pool through the purchase process and had the kids swimming in it the day after we bought the house. I only needed to bump CL with bleach and lower PH with acid to make it a pleasant and safe first swim. Since then I have partially drained and refilled to get CYA down to 80 (was 120), cleaned the DE filter and replaced media to get a handle on what clean pressure should be, and bumped the SWCG run time to get CL levels where I want them.

By reading the things others were going though I was quickly able to get a handle on the pool and the way things work. The only hiccup I had was that the pool equipment is below the water line, so I had to quickly learn to cut off water flow using the jandy ports before emptying the pump basket!

Since any questions I have had had already been asked and answered by others (thank goodness for the search system) I am mostly lurking, but am constantly amazed by the people on the board and how they truly want everyone to succeed in making their pool trouble free. I look forward to helping to share what I have learned with others.
    - Matrioux

2007 18K pebble IG pool - Wincor Pool Systems automation & SWG (under development) - DE Jandy DEL60 Filter - Jandy 1HP Pump - TF-100 Test Kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New pool owner long time reader - Matrioux

Hi Matrioux,

Boy you jumped into the game at full speed. Good for you. I've been a pool owner for over 20 years and finally found this place and stumbled around till Liza, Kim, and Patrick saved me .
    For a new pool owner you're light years ahead of where I started. My hats off to you Also....... I must admit I'm a little jealous

Anyway congrats and Welcome to TFP
    Si -central Mo. 32' x 16' -- 3'4" to 6' deep Vinyl liner - 16,500 Gals : Triton II filter -Duraglass 2 hp pump - 1 speed : SI-30 salt generator
    TF-100 with speedstir

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: New pool owner long time reader - Matrioux

I also am impressed with the way you've grabbed the reins of your pool and *owned it*

Welcome to the TFP way of pool care. It really doesn't get any easier than this. Congrats on the new home/pool.

Yippee
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain