Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 9 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: New pool in south Florida !

1. Back To Top    #1

New pool in south Florida !

We have been researching pool builders, finishes, pavers, tile for what seems like months. Finally got the the decking and tile picked out. Now to pick the finish. We would like a dark blue water color. So this is yet another upgrade. We both like Barbados blue by quartzscapes. It comes with a lifetime warranty on the product. But it's quite pricey. Diamond brite midnight blue is also in the running. Both of these are tint based products. I'm a little concerned with fading as we live in south Florida and we won't be screening the pool. The pool is going to be 17x30 3 1/2 to 6 foot deep with raised spa with marble spill over. 1300 sf of deck. We are having Ivory travertine installed for the deck. Permit went in last Tuesday. So we should be Breaking ground soon. And the pool builder needs us to pick the finish. Anyone have any experience with either of these products? Here is a pic of the tile

Pool Area 170x 300, shallow to deep (30 to 60) 510 sq ft surface
    Standard exterior steps 6ft and deep end swimout
    Pedestal Spa, raised 18, 6x5 square with marble spillway, 6 therapy jets,
    LED spa light, entry step, tile beam, stucco exterior, 2HP air blower
    Standard 6x6 ceramic waterline tile (4.00 sq ft allow.),
    Tumbled stone coping, mudset and grout to match
    Tumbled stone patio, approx. 1300 sq ft
    Color LED pool light; Heat pump/chiller Gulfstream
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Finally got plan in to city for permit!

More of the tile this is for the spa.
    Attached Images Attached Images

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: New pool in south Florida need help on finish!

You might want to take your name and address off the drawings.

- - - Updated - - -

Are you having a sunshelf? They seem to be pretty popular.
    Marla
    No longer living vicariously through other people's pool builds. Pool build is complete on my IG SWCG pool, approx 10,000 gallons. All Jandy equipment - VS 1.5 hp pump, 580 cartridge filter, AquaPure 1400 salt cell, AquaLink PDA system. Dolphin m500. PebbleSheen Blue Surf with shells and beads added. TF-100 w/ SpeedStir. A Houston Pool Build Inside the Loop

4. Back To Top    #4

I like your tile.

I have heard of problems with molting in darker colors. It can have inconsistent coloring. What I have read is that it REALLY matters who does the install. Their experience with the product is the key.

I would do some research and see what you find.

I like your layout. I would think about a bench or such in the deep end as that has been a very popular hang out for many pools.

I like Marla's idea of the sunshelf also. Something big enough to put a chair or lounger on.

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

No experience with the exact 2 you list but IMHO I would go lighter color then your tile choice. Like Aruba Sky.... We had a Quartz in a previous pool and the water temp seemed to be a few degrees higher then a lighter color. Then again how much direct sun will your pool get? Good luck and it sounds like you have a great pool on the way!

Free form | 14k gal | 81 pf | 3.5' - 5' - 4' | Dolphin M500 | intelli FLO VS 3 hp | heat pump ultra temp hp 90 | quad 60 DE | ic40 swcg | Aqua blue mini pebble | 5g LED

6. Back To Top    #6

I just wanted to share these two threads with you about bad plaster jobs. I do NOT want to scare you but DO want to make you aware so you can talk to your PB to make sure this does not happen to you.

White Spotting of New Plaster Pools

Gunite Pool; Is this Scale, Calcium, Metal or Just Worn Out?

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

7. Back To Top    #7

Marlahoutex No sunshelf. We what to be able to do laps in the pool and thank you didn't notice the address on the drawing. kimkats Thanks I'll be post more pics of the tiles. Having a few dophin tiles on the spa that match. I'm ok with a lighter color but my hubby has his heart set on a dark blue water color. Daxton afternoon sun, but we are putting in a heatpump with chiller. it gets to hot here in the summer. And it's only 500.00 more for the chiller. Also helps that our son has an A/C bussiness.

8. Back To Top    #8

See if you can repost the drawing without the name & address. That way we can see the whole plan.
    Marla
    No longer living vicariously through other people's pool builds. Pool build is complete on my IG SWCG pool, approx 10,000 gallons. All Jandy equipment - VS 1.5 hp pump, 580 cartridge filter, AquaPure 1400 salt cell, AquaLink PDA system. Dolphin m500. PebbleSheen Blue Surf with shells and beads added. TF-100 w/ SpeedStir. A Houston Pool Build Inside the Loop

9. Back To Top    #9

I can't edit the PDF file. I'll have to print it and take a picture will do than later today.

10. Back To Top    #10

At least you are armed with knowledge to talk to your PB about your plaster.

Love the tiles!

Kim

11. Back To Top    #11

Thanks Kim! I'm am having some issues with my PB. I think he is trying to overcharge me for the upgrades. But my hubby is a GC so I can find out the prices. Wish he did pools lol. Fact is if we lived closer to Miami I would be in good shape. Trouble is we live over an hour away from all of his contacts. They don't travel this far north. I'm starting to get ticked off with him. Every time we look at something that's not in the original price it's very pricey. So there are 5 color choices in the original price but my hubby wants the midnight blue color which is not included of course. I found it on line for less than 18.00 more per bag. One bag cover approximately 22 sf. As my hubby is in construction he uses auto cad daily. He calculated our total square footage and our PB is way over priced. it shouldn't be more than 1000.00 at most 1200 if he is adding a little something for himself. And I made sure to ask if there was any additional labor charges and he said no just material.

12. Back To Top    #12

Sounds like time for a sit down with all of you. Tell him what you know and go from there. Be polite but firm. No emotions, just facts.

HUGS!

Kim

13. Back To Top    #13

I sent him a text this morning. Here it is. I was just matter of fact. If I called him I wouldn't have been as nice lol.

George why is the midnight blue that much more. You told me there was no more labor on this product . I can buy the midnight blue on line out of Miami for less than 18 more per bag than the included colors in the contract price. Those colors are starting at a little over 20 per bag. Rocky did the sf on the pool. If each bag covers approximately 22 sf at 3/8" it shouldn't be any more than 1000.00 give or take add to the original contract price.
    He hasn't responded yet.

14. Back To Top    #14

Good job! It will be interesting to see what he says.

Kim

15. Back To Top    #15

Well at this point he only has a small deposit and I have no problem pulling the plug on this project. I had 2 PB for my hubby to meet with and he only saw this one and decided to hire him. Think he just wanted to get started on the pool. It's very frustrating. We own a business and understand the construction world. Everyone needs to make a profit. But this is price gouging. And he wasn't the cheapest but not the most expensive either in the beginning.

16. Back To Top    #16

i went with an upgrade to my plaster and mine was $800 more. if I would have went with a Pebble and pearl it would have been $1800 more. My PB said there is more labor involved.

17. Back To Top    #17

This is just a color upgrade not product. I made sure there wasn't any extra labor with this. The only differance here is the product is tinted.Well 800- 1200 I would't complain about but 2810.00 for just a tinted product doesn't seem likea fair price to me.

18. Back To Top    #18

I'm in your area. I hope you don't have the same builder we used. The pool came out ok but there were some issues. Anyways, we went with blue granite pebble sheen and it is beautiful. We also have Ivory travertine.

19. Back To Top    #19

Who did you use? Any pics of your pool on this forum?

20. Back To Top    #20

JupPool. Would love to see pics of your pool!

Page 1 of 9 1234 ... LastLast