What is FC shock rate

Hello,

I'm barely 2 months into owning and it took that long to find this amazing site. I started reading pool school, and I noticed the chl/cya chart and it mentions fc shock rate. I have a swg. Can someone explain shock rate to me and how/when to raise it to the recommended level. My CYA is currently reading 70. Also, is it really recommended to shock weekly? I have little kids in my pool often.

Thank you,

Jay

No. We only use 'shock' level if you have algae present. As long as you keep your FC at the correct level for your CYA you should not have to ever 'shock'. BTW here we don't really call it 'shock' We refer to it as SLAM. ShockLevel and Maintain.

So for you, with the SWG, and a CYA of 70, you want to ensure that your FC is set for 5ppm. Never let it get below 3ppm or you risk algae.

Which test kit do you have?

If you ever have to SLAM:
Turn off SWG to save some usage on it.
Use bleach or any other form of liquid chlorine to raise FC up to shock level.
Test every hour or so and add as needed to Maintain that level. Test using 10ml sample to save on reagents.
Once FC starts to hold, testing and adding can be stretched out a little.
Once you pass the 3 tests you can let FC drift back down to normal
Turn SWG back on.

It's covered in Pool School - http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/125-slam-shock-level-and-maintain-shockingl

You ordered the C option, right?

you are doing great, you found us :)

no need to shock weekly, the only time we SLAM is when you have algae or something consuming your chlorine faster than the SWG can generate chlorine.
your CYA is perfect for a swg keep your FC over 3-5

do you have a good test kit? the TF100 or K-2006 are great kits and needed every day..

what is you TA and PH at? PH will rise with the SWG.

Thanks a lot. Gonna take me a little while to read through the entire Pool School; but Im going to do it.

You've helped me on my other thread. Amazon only offered the regular with the smaller bottles, and I knew the difference but was in a rush due to my other pool issue and figured I'd just purchase extra bottles at leslies or online. You stated the the regular kit wouldn't be enough; but I didn't know that when I bought it.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks Casey. My PH is at 7.6

Wantagh is on long island. I should probably adjust my profile...............

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks Casey. My PH is at 7.6

Wantagh is on long island. I should probably adjust my profile...............

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.