Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: What is FC shock rate

1. Back To Top    #1

What is FC shock rate

Hello,

I'm barely 2 months into owning and it took that long to find this amazing site. I started reading pool school, and I noticed the chl/cya chart and it mentions fc shock rate. I have a swg. Can someone explain shock rate to me and how/when to raise it to the recommended level. My CYA is currently reading 70. Also, is it really recommended to shock weekly? I have little kids in my pool often.

Thank you,

Jay
    Jason
    13,600gal radiant Metric Free Form In-Ground Salt pool, vinyl-June 2015
    Hayward Pro Series Sand Filter model S244T, Hayward Vari-Flo XL valve model SP0714T1, Hayward Self Priming Super Pump, purechlor SWG
    full sun and no debris

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: What is FC shock rate

No. We only use 'shock' level if you have algae present. As long as you keep your FC at the correct level for your CYA you should not have to ever 'shock'. BTW here we don't really call it 'shock' We refer to it as SLAM. ShockLevel and Maintain.

So for you, with the SWG, and a CYA of 70, you want to ensure that your FC is set for 5ppm. Never let it get below 3ppm or you risk algae.

Which test kit do you have?
    Bob - Palm Beach by San Juan Pools. approx 5000 gals., Pentair 320 cartridge filter (all new guts installed by me), Goldline SWG, 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Intermec 104 Timer Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir

3. Back To Top    #3

Just purchased the taylor 2006.

Okay, thanks. But, if I ever need to SLAM my pool, what and how do I achieve the appropriate fc shock level? I have no idea what that means.
    Jason
    Hayward Pro Series Sand Filter model S244T, Hayward Vari-Flo XL valve model SP0714T1, Hayward Self Priming Super Pump, purechlor SWG
    full sun and no debris

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

If you ever have to SLAM:
    Turn off SWG to save some usage on it.
    Use bleach or any other form of liquid chlorine to raise FC up to shock level.
    Test every hour or so and add as needed to Maintain that level. Test using 10ml sample to save on reagents.
    Once FC starts to hold, testing and adding can be stretched out a little.
    Once you pass the 3 tests you can let FC drift back down to normal
    Turn SWG back on.

It's covered in Pool School - http://www.troublefreepool.com/conte...tain-shockingl

You ordered the C option, right?
    Bob - Palm Beach by San Juan Pools. approx 5000 gals., Pentair 320 cartridge filter (all new guts installed by me), Goldline SWG, 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Intermec 104 Timer Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide

you are doing great, you found us

no need to shock weekly, the only time we SLAM is when you have algae or something consuming your chlorine faster than the SWG can generate chlorine.
    your CYA is perfect for a swg keep your FC over 3-5

do you have a good test kit? the TF100 or K-2006 are great kits and needed every day..

what is you TA and PH at? PH will rise with the SWG.
    Pool: Intex 16x32 15000 gal, 2 speed 340042, Pentair CC320 Filter, CircuPool SJ45 Salt System, Intermatic PE653RC; Hot Tub: 650 Gal SWG Megachlor
    links: pool school * Recommended-Levels * SLAM * CYA chart * Test kits * How To Post Pictures * Poolmath * OCLT ** Support your website if we helped you :) **

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide

BTW. Where is Wantagh?

7. Back To Top    #7

Thanks a lot. Gonna take me a little while to read through the entire Pool School; but Im going to do it.

You've helped me on my other thread. Amazon only offered the regular with the smaller bottles, and I knew the difference but was in a rush due to my other pool issue and figured I'd just purchase extra bottles at leslies or online. You stated the the regular kit wouldn't be enough; but I didn't know that when I bought it.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks Casey. My PH is at 7.6

Wantagh is on long island. I should probably adjust my profile...............

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks Casey. My PH is at 7.6

Wantagh is on long island. I should probably adjust my profile...............
    Jason
    full sun and no debris

8. Back To Top    #8

TFP Guide

On Amazon there is an option near the bottom of the info that lets you choose either one.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002IXIJ0/...ing=UTF8&psc=1

I think this should work. You could always return the other one. Might even be able to do it now before it gets processed and shipped.

- - - Updated - - -

If not, you'll be okay as long as you don't need to SLAM. you can order refills from TFTestkits.net I believe.

Here: http://tftestkits.net/Taylor-K-2006-Refills-c5/

9. Back To Top    #9

you've got to be kidding me. I can't believe I didn't see that. I just ordered it. Thanks
    Jason
    full sun and no debris

10. Back To Top    #10

Welcome to TFP no more pool store
    6280 Gal Intex 17' x 52" Metal Frame AG
    2500 GPH Filter Pump
    Intex Krystal clear SWG
    Taylor K-2005 With FAS-DPD Drop TEST KIT And Speedstir
    Intex Robot Pool Cleaner

11. Back To Top    #11

TFP Guide

No worries!