Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool cooled Decking

1. Back To Top    #1
    S.E. Wisconsin

Pool cooled Decking

Came across this while doing a little browsing. Finally someone has proved my idea works.

Basically, you just put pipe in the concrete and pump the water through it. It occured to me a few summers ago when I stepped barefoot onto asphalt on a sunny day. There's a lot of potential heat there. If you used in in pool decking, not only do you have more solar collector sq footage, but the concrete stays cool on your feet, esp. if you have darker colored crete.

18' x 42" Intex Easyset Pool, with 16' x 52" deep end in the middle. Approx. 5500 Gal.
    Hayward Power-Flo LX 1 HP, 100# Jacuzzi Brand Sand Filter(Piped underground so it looks nice) 8)
    3 - 2' x 20' Solar Pool Heater Panels(roof mounted)
    Goin' on 9 summers...NOBODY thought it would last this long.
    Buried Portable Spa sharing pumps and water with pool (Almost complete project)

2. Back To Top    #2
    Silver Spring, MD

Re: Pool cooled Decking

Fanta-Sea Solar Pools do a very similar thing for above ground pools.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3
    Middle Tennessee

It's not really a new idea, per se. Older houses with slab foundations used this system in reverse for radiant heating, IIRC.
    24' x 52" AGP - approx 13,500 gallons
    Pentair Optiflo 1 hp/2sp pump w/ Swimpro Voyager 150 sq ft cartridge filter
    Intex 8110 SWCG
    "Fear the Schnauz!"

4. Back To Top    #4
    Orlando, FL

Not just slabs, either, according to "This Old House"... Evidently New England is full of radiant heat re-fits. They used some form of thinset-like bed to bury tubing atop regular floors.
    [center:1kpalu48]Helpful Links: Pool School | CYA/Chlorine Chart | Pool Calculator[/center:1kpalu48]

5. Back To Top    #5

Central Texas

I was looking at those pics and the black concrete deck. What the heck do they do when the pool is already warm enough, yet it's a sunny summer day? Turn off the circulation and that deck would get hot enough to fry eggs on in this part of the world!
    26,000 Gallon Gunnite IGP
    2 HP Challenger High Head Pump
    60sf Nautilus DE filter
    Polaris 280