Raypak heater will not ignite

kenmacboston

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 14, 2012
Haverhill, MA
I have had a Raypak 265-280?K BTU about 6 years. 2 years ago, the igniter stopped lighting up the flame. I use a lighter to ignite it and this has worked for the 2 years. Now the ignite will spark (with the code on the unit as SPK), but even with a lighter, the unit does not flame up. I suspect that there is no gas going to the burners. Anyone have similar issues? Could it be the gas regulator (I've turned it off and on many times), or a clogged gas line. Of course, we have company coming over tomorrow! Easy to clean out the gas piping? I installed the unit myself so I can probably do the work myself with someone's suggestions or experience with same.

If you are not smelling and gas, then you could have a bad gas valve. When the unit initially goes to light, it will spark, pilot portion of the gas valve opens, then when the unit senses flame, it sends a signal to open the main portion of the valve to light all the burners. You should be bale to hear/feel when the main valve opens by putting your hand on the valve.

Now if you are unable to light the pilot at all, then I would suspect that either the gas valve or the pilot assembly has an issue.

I'm guessing you have natural gas up where you are so you supply of gas should be good. If you have propane, please check the tank to make sure you have propane.

The pilot works, I noticed the igniter will spark (to start the pilot light), and then typically the gas turns on for the burners. No gas to the burners and no smell of gas either. I do notice that the igniter will keep "sparking" after the pilot is lit. I do not understand why Raypak would have a spark igniter AND a pilot.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.