Can a vac cause vinyl punctures?

Aug 4, 2015
Boston, MA
Hello all,

Just bought a home and my first pool. Dealing with the nightmares I did not want with a pool ;). So couple weeks in we noticed the pool was losing too much water. We found a leak behind the light fixture 400 bucks later thats fixed we hope. Then I have been trying to get my super vac working that the previous owner left in a bin. Got it working but then noticed a dime size hole in the liner. Looked at the vac head and it has white bristles on it but didnt see anything really sticking out that is sharp other than the bristles themselves and it was sucking pretty hard to the pool as I dragged it with the pole along the bottom. I patched that up then tried again running the vac and I dont know if by coincidence I found another small puncture to the liner. Can a vac cause this or is it possible they existed as small holes and they got bigger. Suffice to say I bought a new vac head. Now have 5 patches in the pool 2 existed and 3 new actually 2 puncture holes patches this morning as I took many deep breathes and a small one I also noticed. Thanks for any advice. Think a new liner is in my future next season but the nightmare I imagined is coming true lol.

Hello beantownace, and Welcome to TFP,

I've not ever had an issue myself, but have read about others complaining of this same problem. Sometimes it's the vac, sometimes it's the pump having too much suction, sometimes its the liner being loose or having wrinkles in it, but whatever it is in your case, since you've replaced the vac head already, hopefully it will solve the issue.

Also when your vacuuming try not to put a lot of downward pressure on it when pushing or pulling it because you can push it down too hard where it flattens out the bristles, and the vac head itself can tear the liner. Also try to ensure that its always upright, and try not to pull it sideways because the sides of the vac head can also tear the liner if it hits it just right. (I like to turn my sideways and vacuum along the edge of the walls and in the groves with it), but that's something you have to be very careful doing because it can tear those grooves very easily if too much pressure is applied.

So, just let the vacuum do the work, and you just gently guild it around where it needs to go. I hope this helps and I'm sure other folks will be around shortly to offer you their suggestions too. Have A Wonderful Night.

It's hard to say what caused it, but the main goal now is to do what we can to prevent it from happening again. Anything can tear the liner. They can be torn with brushing, vacuuming, ladders, steps, zippers on clothes, or anything else.

I've been patching today myself, and have no clue where the hole came from, but it was leaking like crazy. I've had a slow leak for awhile, but the past couple days it increased a lot. I suspect mine was from my old brush as the bristles were getting brittle, and breaking on it so I recently replaced it. That could have been the issue with the old vac head with the bristles that you were recently using too?

What psi is your filter at during vacuuming? Mine runs at between 10 and 12 PSI.

Also, if you don't mind could you fill out your signature information so everyone who helps you can see what size pool you have, and what kind and size of filter you have etc. I know this question is just on liner tears but you might need something else later and you'll already have it filled out, plus we hope you hang around here cause all the cool kids hang out here LOL :).

Here is a link that tell you what to put in it. http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/115-read-before-you-post
To get to the signature section from this page click on the link above Forum Actions, then click General Setting-once you click this you will see a list of things running down the left hand side of your page, My Messages, My Subscriptions, Chose MY SETTINGS-EDIT SIGNATURE and just fill in the reguested info please.

Thank you, and Have a nice night. I hope the new vac head stops the liner tearing.

Sorry it wouldn't let me edit. It should have read (To get to the signature section from this page click on the link above Forum Actions, then click General Setting from the drop down, then go to My settings down the left hand side, and then click edit signature).

That psi should be right on the money. I don't think it was an over suction issue that caused the tears.

Yes, I see your signature on your original post now, I must have just missed it the 1st go around. I'm not sure why it isn't showing on all your posts either? Maybe someone with more knowledge of those kinds of things will show up, and let you know how to fix it. Good luck, hopefully no more tears anytime soon. Have a wonderful night.

My pool cleaner managed to clean a slit into my liner. It always gets stuck by the stairs, and I have to redirect. A couple of weeks ago it was left on over night by accident, and cleaned the same spot for hours, and hours.....

With the dime size punctures, with flaps still on it... Did you by chance by your house as a foreclosure? I have heard that some owners sabotage a few items when they have to give up their house. Metal pipe poked into the liner makes a hole like that.
When our son was about 7-8, he used a pipe to break up ice in the surface of our baby pool. Needless to say, the pipe went all the way to the bottom and punched a few holes into the liner. Those punctures looked like what you are describing.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.