First Time pool owner - should I slam?

fury81

Aug 8, 2015
Charlotte
First time posting. Love this site. Already have learned a ton of information just by browsing the forum. Really helped a first time pool owner like myself calm down.

I believe my salt cell needs to be replaced. My PH has been high and my FC has been 0.5 or lower for probably 2 weeks. I'm not sure how long because I didn't get my TF-100 until last week. A local pool technician came out and put on a new salt cell to see if it would produce chlorine and therefore rule that my old one needed to be replaced. It's a couple of years old. Not sure how old because we just bought the house. That technician told me to run the filter for 24 hours straight and put it in superchlorinator mode. On top of all this, the local pool store told me I had high phosphates (higher than her test would go) and sold me some phosFree which I did add. Of course I realized later after looking at this forum that I shouldn't have bought the phosFree. My CC reading was 2.0 yesterday and my FC was still 0.5, so I realized it was time to slam. I bought bleach today and was just about to start the process and decided to do one more chlorine test. This time my FC was 1.5 and my CC was 1.0. That seems like good progress. In fact, the technician said my ideal FC range was 1-3 which confuses me because I know this site posted that SWG should have 4-6 FC.

So after all of this, I am not sure if I should slam or not and what my ideal FC should be. Would greatly appreciate the advise. Should I slam or should I just keep running the filter 24/7 for a while until it catches up? And what FC range should I shoot for?

Water looks pretty clear. Some iron stains are on the bottom.
CYA:75
PH:7.5
FC:1.5
CC:1.0

Owelcome to TFP!

Your first decision is whose advice you are going to follow. If you listen to the pool store, the "technician" and us you will get three different recommendations and do nothing but confuse yourself. Running your filter won't fix a chemestry problem, so just running it won't help.

So, if you decide TFP, then yes you need to SLAM your pool. Turn off the SWG, add acid to get your pH to 7.2 and add chlorine to get to 28. Keep testing and adding chlorine to keep it at 28. Follow these directions to the letter. Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain

Should you decide to follow the pool store or the technician I promise we won't make fun of you and you are still welcome.

Yeah, I have been swearing by your site to my wife all week, so I definitely am going with you. I just wasn't sure if I really needed to slam it or not because the water isn't green and the CC are going down. So when I slam it, I run the filter 24/7 but should I turn the chlorine percentage down to 0%?

Yeah, I have been swearing by your site to my wife all week, so I definitely am going with you. I just wasn't sure if I really needed to slam it or not because the water isn't green and the CC are going down. So when I slam it, I run the filter 24/7 but should I turn the chlorine percentage down to 0%?
Yes, either down to "0" or unplug/switch it off.

I and to SLAM two weeks ago (long story) and my water was sparkly clear, but something was growing in it. Hopefully your
SLAM will be quick. Mine was a weekend.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.