Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Slippery liner

1. Back To Top    #1

Slippery liner

Hey guys
    My pool liner is slippery, which from what I've read it could the start of an algae bloom.
    I missed a couple of days of adding bleach. The water is still clear though. I changed the filter and doubled my usual bleach dose.
    I don't have a test kit yet (going to invest in one soon)

Anyway should I do anything else before it turns into a swamp?
    Brush the walls maybe?
    Intex metal frame 12x3 pool
    Installed July 2015, 1718 gallons, Krystal clear 530 gal per hr filter pump.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Slippery liner

You need one of the Recommended Test Kits and then have to follow the ShockLevelAndMAINTAIN Process. You can not eliminate algae by brushing and filtering ... you have to attack it chemically with chlorine.

Alternatively, you have a small pool. So it might be easier and faster to drain, clean and start over following the Temporary/Seasonal Pool Guide
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Yes definitely! It does sound like the start of an outbreak. You NEED that test kit, pronto! Up the bleach in the meantime.
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

4. Back To Top    #4

Yeah I was thinking it might be easier to drain and refill since I don't have a test kit. Question....how do I clean the liner? Is there a link somewhere on this site?

5. Back To Top    #5

Some diluted bleach and a scrub brush.

You still need at least a basic OTO / pH drop test kit if you are going to follow the Seasonal Guide. The good test kits make maintenance a lot easier though.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

6. Back To Top    #6

I just tested with a test strip (I know it's not the preferred test but it's what I have on hand)

TB 20
    FC 10
    TA 0
    PH 7.8

7. Back To Top    #7

No idea what TB is. And strips are so unreliable, we would not make recommendations based on them anyway.

For example, if the TA was really 0 ... then the pH would have to be in the 4s. Clearly one of those numbers is wrong.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle View Post
    No idea what TB is. And strips are so unreliable, we would not make recommendations based on them anyway.

For example, if the TA was really 0 ... then the pH would have to be in the 4s. Clearly one of those numbers is wrong.
    Total Bromine. And that's exactly what I said lol.
    Anyway my FC is 10 according to this which makes sense since I just dumped 20 Oz of bleach in the pool.

- - - Updated - - -

Bleh....screw it. I'm draining and refilling. Ordering a test kit asap.

9. Back To Top    #9

I had the same issue with my pool and it was surely a start of an outbreak. It soon lead to a cloudy pool.
    6280 Gal Intex 17' x 52" Metal Frame AG
    2500 GPH Filter Pump
    Intex Krystal clear SWG
    Taylor K-2005 With FAS-DPD Drop TEST KIT And Speedstir
    Intex Robot Pool Cleaner