Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: ONCT - with our without solar cover on???

1. Back To Top    #1

ONCT - with our without solar cover on???

Came home from vacation July 30 to a nice outbreak of yellow/mustard algae - seems like the only kind I ever get.

Did all the recommended mustard aglae attacks as far as Slamming, brushing, etc. No signs of algae for about week, water totally clear for 5 days, but I just can't seem to pass the INITIAL Over Night Chlorine Test, I'm losing anywhere from 1.5 to 2.0 PPM each night, testing at 9pm and again at 9AM (shade tree on each side of pool so sun is off of it before 8pm and not back on it until 930 or 10 AM). I'm talking here about the initial algae treating SLAM, not the "pump it up a little higher at the end for Mustard Algae" Slam.

It HAS been cooler and dryer air then we normally get in August, could it be evaporation at night?

Does it matter if I have the cover on or off? I know Shock/Slam levels of chlorine aren't good for a cover (mine is totally wrecked from past years of having it on while Shocking/Slamming, bubbles all falling apart). Should I put the cover ON to reduce evaporation and see if it holds?

It's been cool so we haven't really been in it much if any at all.

FC = at least 14-15 all the time, occaisionally a little higher
    CC = 0 to .5
    CYA = 30 to 35

Thanks for any advice.
    ~12,500 sqft above ground, 95 sq ft Sta-Rite Posi-Clear Cartridge filter, installed by previous owner in 2010?, Proud TF100 user!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: ONCT - with our without solar cover on???

Usually the cover is best off during a SLAM ... the cover itself will actually consume some of the FC.

Have you checked in the stairs or anything else where algae could be hiding?
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Have you removed your lights and cleaned up the niche behind there? How about ladders? All the places that hide algae which becomes a persistent problem....
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

4. Back To Top    #4

We do have pool steps and some weights to hold them down, and a mat under them - I HAVE cleaned them, but they are tough to get all the area under the steps...may be time to pull them out.
    ~12,500 sqft above ground, 95 sq ft Sta-Rite Posi-Clear Cartridge filter, installed by previous owner in 2010?, Proud TF100 user!