1st Time User - 1st Readings

Hi, just getting started on this site, have been reading and learning a lot. I am having a slight staining problem that I believe is organic, it clears up after shocking but starts to return as my chlorine level returns to normal. Water clarity is fine, this is the only issue I continue to have. Was using trichlor but will be switching over to liquid chlorine. Was also using cal-hypo to shock and will be stopping that soon as well. Just got my test kit today and obtained the following results from my initial test.

FC - 13
CC - 0.5
TC - 13.5
PH - 7.6
CH - 325
TA - 180
CYA - 90
15,000 gallon/plaster

Trying to locate ideal ranges as well as what FC level should be maintained at my CYA level as well as how to calculate the appropriate amount of chlorine needed for shock purposes. Thought I saw this information on the site earlier but can't locate now.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Welcome to TFP!

Those are some nice numbers. CYA is a little high which will require higher chlorine levels but it is manageable.

Chlorine level is set based on the Chlorine CYA Chart. Keep it at target and don't let it drop below minimum ever to keep the pool sanitized and algae free. Shock level is also listed. It is safe to swim with FC between minimum and shock level.

Here is what you are looking for on Pool School - Recommended Levels

And another great page to read here, Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

Thanks, just what I was looking for.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes, the TF100.

- - - Updated - - -

Color hard to tell really, definitely not green, more of a grey to start out then slowly get darker. Kind of wavy in shape. Hard to get a feel as plaster/pebble base. Until I found this site was always trying to get my chlorine levels down to 1-3 range after shocking which is more than likely the problem. I now see I have to maintain higher chlorine levels based on my CYA.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.