Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: 1st Time User - 1st Readings

1. Back To Top    #1

1st Time User - 1st Readings

Hi, just getting started on this site, have been reading and learning a lot. I am having a slight staining problem that I believe is organic, it clears up after shocking but starts to return as my chlorine level returns to normal. Water clarity is fine, this is the only issue I continue to have. Was using trichlor but will be switching over to liquid chlorine. Was also using cal-hypo to shock and will be stopping that soon as well. Just got my test kit today and obtained the following results from my initial test.

FC - 13
    CC - 0.5
    TC - 13.5
    PH - 7.6
    CH - 325
    TA - 180
    CYA - 90
    15,000 gallon/plaster

Trying to locate ideal ranges as well as what FC level should be maintained at my CYA level as well as how to calculate the appropriate amount of chlorine needed for shock purposes. Thought I saw this information on the site earlier but can't locate now.

Thanks for any help you can provide.
    JohnKash
    15,000 gallon plaster
    Sta-Rite Cartridge Filter
    Sta-Rite Max-E-Therm Heater

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: 1st Time User - 1st Readings

Welcome to TFP!

Those are some nice numbers. CYA is a little high which will require higher chlorine levels but it is manageable.

Chlorine level is set based on the Chlorine CYA Chart. Keep it at target and don't let it drop below minimum ever to keep the pool sanitized and algae free. Shock level is also listed. It is safe to swim with FC between minimum and shock level.

Here is what you are looking for on Pool School - Recommended Levels

And another great page to read here, Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome to TFP are you using one of the recommended test kits. TF100 or taylor K-2006
    6280 Gal Intex 17' x 52" Metal Frame AG
    2500 GPH Filter Pump
    Intex Krystal clear SWG
    Taylor K-2005 With FAS-DPD Drop TEST KIT And Speedstir
    Intex Robot Pool Cleaner

4. Back To Top    #4

Welcome to TFP!

I'd like to hear more about the stains that come and go. Color, shape, feeling to the touch?
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks, just what I was looking for.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes, the TF100.

- - - Updated - - -

Color hard to tell really, definitely not green, more of a grey to start out then slowly get darker. Kind of wavy in shape. Hard to get a feel as plaster/pebble base. Until I found this site was always trying to get my chlorine levels down to 1-3 range after shocking which is more than likely the problem. I now see I have to maintain higher chlorine levels based on my CYA.
    JohnKash
    15,000 gallon plaster
    Sta-Rite Cartridge Filter
    Sta-Rite Max-E-Therm Heater