Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Foam & Soap Film?

1. Back To Top    #1

Foam & Soap Film?

Hi all,

I get a bit of bubbling foam - not bad, just a few handfuls at the centre of my tub with the jets on. When I turn the jets off there is what looks like soap film on the water. Could this be from swim suits with residual soap, or is this the dreaded biofilm?

I have been following the dichlor then bleach method with no problems in this water for about a month but it's been like this since the refill. Water looks good with 50 ppm borates, about a 7.5 ph an a schock to 10ppm of bleach after each swim, maintaining about a 35ppm dichlor santizer base... Water temp is kept around 38 to 39C

I can't seem to get rid of this soap-esque film in the video below, any thoughts?

Soap film or biofilm? - YouTube

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Foam & Soap Film?

Are you using plain, unscented bleach? Splashless and scented bleaches have ingredients that may create foaming in the water.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

I am using pool-specific bleach from the big box store - trade bleach at about 10%.

4. Back To Top    #4

Sometimes soap or fabric softener residue can leech into the spa water as you soak. How is your calcium level? I've read that low calcium can cause foaming.
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain