Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Constantly recalibrating a swimpure

1. Back To Top    #1

Constantly recalibrating a swimpure

I have a T-Cell 15 that is around 4 years old. I am running into a problem where the salt level is not registering properly. My salt is at 3200 but it keeps showing much lower than that to where the salt generator turns off.

If I recalibrate back to 3200, it seems to generate chlorine for a day or two, then the the salt reading goes back down to where the salt generation turns off.

I have cleaned the unit but it doesn't seem to make a difference.

My question is, does this mean the unit is going bad or the controller or a censor????

Thanks
    17K gal, IG outdoor uncaged crystalcrete (yr 2002), 1 1/2 HP pump, Hayward 1750C cartridge filter, Hayward SwimPure SWG, No autocleaning --- Southwest Florida

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Constantly recalibrating a swimpure

Continually reading low salt is an indication of a failing cell. Since it's four years old, it's near the end of its life anyway. Your probably going to need to replace it very soon.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

You can not actually re-calibrate a Hayward SWG.

I agree that you likely need a new SWG cell. You could have your existing one tested at a pool store.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

The pool store is a pass or fail type of test and if the cell is on its last legs it might pass the test but it could still need to be replaced. I think that over 90% of the time a SWG has those symptoms the cell needs to be replaced.
    16k gal plaster with raised spa, Jandy DEV60 filter, 2 HP 2-speed SHPF Jandy Stealth pump
    Hayward Aqua Rite T-15 SWCG, Jandy LXi 400k BTU NG heater, 350 sq.ft. of Sun Star solar panels, TF-100 Test Kit, Dolphin s300i Cleaner
    Test Kits . Pool Math . Chlorine/CYA Chart . The SLAM Process

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks for the responses.

If it is most likely the cell then, I may just recalibrate it every two days until the thing produces no more chlorine. Maybe I can get some more use out of it.
    17K gal, IG outdoor uncaged crystalcrete (yr 2002), 1 1/2 HP pump, Hayward 1750C cartridge filter, Hayward SwimPure SWG, No autocleaning --- Southwest Florida

6. Back To Top    #6

Can you post the diagnostics?

7. Back To Top    #7

One trick that might help, although not sure if this has been tested out if it works. If you can change the controller and tell it you have a smaller T-cell, it seems that it would start to think the salt level is higher and might sort of work for a little longer.

Disclaimer, I am not sure if this would cause any problem with the controller.

I discovered this when my SWG was reading very high slat levels and found that the cell size was too small.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

8. Back To Top    #8

What is involved in running diagnostics on the T-cell?

9. Back To Top    #9

Try this

Move the switch to off
    scroll through the diagnostics and record (push the button labeled diagnostics)
    wait five minutes
    move the switch to auto
    wait for a click
    go to instant salt
    watch the instant salt until it stabilizes (it should start high and go to the actual instant salt measurement)
    Scroll through the diagnostics and record

Do the above procedure twice. That will give you four sets of readings. If you post those, we can help some more.