Can high CYA levels cause tile chipping issue?

Apr 10, 2013
Phoenix AZ
I have an issue where my tiles are chipping above the water line. I use chlorine pucks 1-5ppm and keep the ph level within range 7.5-8.0. The CYA level has been between 80-130ppm.
The pool was drained last Nov 2014 after 2 season as the tiles started to chip in areas and replaced. Now not even a year later the same issue is occurring.
The pool store has never heard of anything like this and Noble Tile has never encountered such a thing, I'm wondering if it has anything to do with the type of chlorine pucks I'm using or if the CYA level is causing the problem?
Any help or ideas?
Thanks,

Attachments

• TileChip1v2.jpg
    TileChip1v2.jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 68
  • TileChip2small.jpg
    TileChip2small.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 69
  • TileChip3.jpg
    TileChip3.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 68
  • TileChip4.jpg
    TileChip4.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 69
  • TileChip5.jpg
    TileChip5.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 68
As a note to the original poster, onBalance is the person we all hope will look in on threads about plaster and tile issues here on the forum - he is an expert. I just wanted you to realize that you have received an educated response to your question, and weight it accordingly.

In issues unrelated to pools, I have seen this happen, but it take two conditions 1) improperly fired tiles allowing them to become water soaked and 2) temperatures below freezing. Were this due to conditions relating simply to water, the bottom of the tile would be spalling, not the top!

Hi ya'll, the temps do not get below 28 degrees in Phoenix and freezing should not be an issue. I did call out the tile company and they think the tile batch may be defective. I'll know once they come out and take a look at all the tiles. I use a soft pad to clean the tiles and try not to hit the tiles when brushing.
I will let you guys know what tile/pool contractor says when I find out. Appreciate the help :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.