Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Need help with saltron retro

1. Back To Top    #1

Need help with saltron retro

I vacuumed pool this morning and then afterwards the flow was not turning on. I turned pool off open basket cleaned anything out (there wasn't anything) then put everything back and turned pool back on. Flow worked again but it just seemed a little weaker (I think). I tested water no all chemicals fine. But now saltron says low salt with "LO" blinking and the chlorine (I think) coming out of the saltron retro (it looks like a little cloud). I've seen the cloud thing before but now it's been producing it for about a 1/2 hour. The temp now is 81 (I know that in the past the reader said salt low because of low temperature). I'm just concerned now and probably stressing. My above ground pool is 12x20 and 4 ft deep (5,500 gallons). Should I stress?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Need help with saltron retro

Have you tested your salt levels, if so with which test and what were they?

My first guess is you need to add some salt or the cell is dying
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by Isaac-1 View Post
    Have you tested your salt levels, if so with which test and what were they?

My first guess is you need to add some salt or the cell is dying
    This happened once before right after I opened the pool back in May. I was told to just lower the time of the generator (it's a 5hrs/day now) and once temps rise salt level will go back to normal. It did. It still says low salt now and the chlorinator is still pumping out chlorine (is that the little bubbles/cloud thing coming out of it?).

Could the cell be dying so quickly? This is our second summer with this pool (the pool too is new- we just but it last May, 2014)

- - - Updated - - -

Also, salt level was normal until I vacuumed the pool.

4. Back To Top    #4

Just called local pool store that installed the pool last year. They said the cell probably needs to be cleaned. Is this true? How often do I need to clean the cell? I just got this saltron retro last May (2014).

5. Back To Top    #5

Yes, calcium build up can cause false errors for low flow and low salt in SWGs.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

6. Back To Top    #6

Calcium buildup in cell or flow? I'm confused. Should I clean cell now or just wait until end of season (we have about 3 more weeks before school begins)

7. Back To Top    #7

The flow from filter seems a little weaker (I think... Not too sure). The cloudiness by chlorinator is finished. It was just doing its cycle. I just never saw it do that before for so long. I prob saw the ending of s cycle. Now I'm just worried of low salt and weaker (?) flow. I'll check tonorrow. I just think that since its in 80s today the low temp is affecting the salt level. I'll check level tomorrow. It did this before she if was cooler in back in May.

8. Back To Top    #8

Calcium build up in the cell between the electrode plates. That needs to be cleaned with diluted muriatic acid or vinegar. The owner's manual should have detailed instructions, this is a normal SWG maintenance task. Usually low temp does not affect the SWG sensors until the temp is in the 60s.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

9. Back To Top    #9

Must be nice to be in the 80's it has been over 100 every day for the last week here with heat index running 112 or so some days, in fact it is 85 here at almost midnight.
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

10. Back To Top    #10

Just checked salt. Salt level normal and chemstrip says all chemical levels are normal. Maybe I just need to clean cell and clean filter later. I'll wait to end of season to do both

11. Back To Top    #11

Ty everybody for helping. I get stressed out too eqsily