Bucket test confirms, Losing 100+ gal a day to evaporation!!!

Oct 13, 2014
DFW Texas
I have felt like I am going crazy. I have been searching out leaks because I didn't think it was possible for me to loose so much water to evaporation... I finally did a bucket test and the bucket and pool stayed even.

I have an automatic water valve that I have set to add water for 10 min a day. I put 5 gallons measured into a 5 gal bucket and then timed how long it took to fill to the line... I get 5 gallons in 40 seconds. This is about 7.5 gal per min. My timer runs for 10 min so that is 75 gallons a day and it cant keep up, not even close! I lost 2 inches of water since last Tuesday despite water being added each night automatically.

this is 3000+ gallons per month, probably 20-30 dollars in water!!! insane!!!

on the plus side, my pool has stayed in the mid 80s temp wise despite 100+ degree days with 0 shade on the pool...

I get a lot of wind blowing across the pool so I am sure that is causing a lot of extra evap.

Does anyone else loose so much water?

100 gallons per day is about 1/4" for a 600 sqft pool and that is about 1.75" per week which is right in line with most pools during the summer.

I know i'm in the 75 to 80 gallon range but i'm running two Artic Rain pool cooler that add to the evaporation. Except for two days of heavy rain last week, the last month has been very hot and dry. The next water bill is going to show it, i'm sure. I turn on my auto fill for two days then turn it off for two days(the PB set it higher than i would like)and that about how it has been working this summer.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.