Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Bucket test confirms, Losing 100+ gal a day to evaporation!!!

1. Back To Top    #1

Bucket test confirms, Losing 100+ gal a day to evaporation!!!

I have felt like I am going crazy. I have been searching out leaks because I didn't think it was possible for me to loose so much water to evaporation... I finally did a bucket test and the bucket and pool stayed even.

I have an automatic water valve that I have set to add water for 10 min a day. I put 5 gallons measured into a 5 gal bucket and then timed how long it took to fill to the line... I get 5 gallons in 40 seconds. This is about 7.5 gal per min. My timer runs for 10 min so that is 75 gallons a day and it cant keep up, not even close! I lost 2 inches of water since last Tuesday despite water being added each night automatically.

this is 3000+ gallons per month, probably 20-30 dollars in water!!! insane!!!

on the plus side, my pool has stayed in the mid 80s temp wise despite 100+ degree days with 0 shade on the pool...

I get a lot of wind blowing across the pool so I am sure that is causing a lot of extra evap.

Does anyone else loose so much water?
    7-10 year old In ground 20,000 gal, Aquabright ecofinish W/ Spa, waterfall and infinity jet, 60 sq foot DE filter, Single speed pump, Racer cleaner

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Bucket test confirms, Losing 100+ gal a day to evaporation!!!

Just in case, have you tried this: Pool School - Leak Detection
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

100 gallons per day is about 1/4" for a 600 sqft pool and that is about 1.75" per week which is right in line with most pools during the summer.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

4. Back To Top    #4

We are in the trifecta right now.
    100+
    Windy
    Sunny

Which is great for swimming but lots of evaporation. Luckily all the lakes are full again.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

5. Back To Top    #5

I know i'm in the 75 to 80 gallon range but i'm running two Artic Rain pool cooler that add to the evaporation. Except for two days of heavy rain last week, the last month has been very hot and dry. The next water bill is going to show it, i'm sure. I turn on my auto fill for two days then turn it off for two days(the PB set it higher than i would like)and that about how it has been working this summer.
    12K gal, custom flipped kidney bean with spillover spa. All Pentair equipment, Whisperflo 1 1/2 HP, 400K BTU heater, Intellichlor IC 40 SWG, CCP-320 Cartridge filters, Kreepy Krauly pool cleaner with bootster pump, QuartzScapes in Aruba Sky blue, LED lights and travertine tiles for decking and stones on rear edge for landscaping. TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir

6. Back To Top    #6

Opaque Solar cover?
    10,500 gal IG, Topaz Pebble, auto-level
    Hayward DE filter, 2HP Ecostar VSP, ProLogic PS-4, GVA actuators
    Cal Pools Wave Force Plus (wall return jets plus 2 floor pop-ups), Venturi Skimmer
    Water sheer, 2 wok pots, bubbler stem on the baja step
    ColorLogic Mutlicolor LED lamp. Taylor 2006+speed stir

7. Back To Top    #7

A solar cover will help reduce evaporation for sure.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach