Electrical service drop, screen room and pool

tonyj

Aug 8, 2015
Sebastian, FL
we are kinda thinking about a pool in a screen room, I understand code is 22.5 feet from power line to waters edge so that cleaning poles don't get into power lines.. what about screen rooms on a pool.. does this still affect the 22.5 if we have a screen room? since the pole most likely not go through the screen enclosure... also we are in florida, I looked for code on screen rooms near service drop and couldn't find any... my service drop is right on the corner of my house..and would want to pull the screen room off that corner.. if the 22.5 is for screen rooms also it would limit the size of pool since I have a tree on the other end of my yard.. thanks for your time tony

Tony,

Florida is a big state, can you narrow it down a little? As we move forward with more advice to you there can be geographic differences in the advice. Broward county may be very different than Liberty County.

You will have to check with your "Authority Having Jurisdiction" (AHJ), in normal terms your city/county building department. I'm not aware of any counties in Florida that haven't adopted one of the building codes and it is there you are going to have to look. Not only are there prohibitions on service drops over a pool, depending on the code your AHJ has adopted there can be prohibitions on service drops over structures and screen porches.

I wish I could give you a definitive answer, but there are too many variables involved. If you have a copy of your survey put a dotted line for,the service drop and stop by the building department permit window. I have never run into a problem with just asking a question and getting an answer.

While it may add a few thousand dollars to your project, you can have your service cable burried and eliminate the problems.

thanks, I need to stop by, its Sebastian Florida.. yup burying it will likely be the best solution, I have read the service drop codes and I never could find if the screen room affects the 22.5 feet.. thanks again tony
well, I've looked around and here is what I find

Service drop conductors that run over roofs must maintain a minimum clearance of 8 feet above the roof surface, for a minimum distance of 3 feet in all directions from the edge of the roof. Four exceptions exist:

Apply the final grade clearances, if the area above the roof has pedestrian or vehicular traffic.

For 120/208V or 120/240V service-drop conductors, overhead conductor clearances from the roof can be reduced 3 feet if the slope of the roof exceeds 4 inches for every 12 inches.

For 120/208V or 120/240V service-drop conductors, conductor clearance over the roof overhang can be reduced to 18 inches if no more than 6 feet of overhead conductors pass over no more than 4 feet of roof (Fig. 4).

The 3-foot vertical clearance that extends from the roof doesn't apply when the point of attachment is on the side of the building below the roof.

That is from part 230 of the National Electrical Code (not sure which version it is or how old)

You can see what I found here: Article 230: Services Part 2 | Code Basics content from Electrical Construction M) Magazine

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.