Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Palm Tree Fibers Clog Centrifugal Pump About Once a Month - Add screen to strainer?

1. Back To Top    #1

Palm Tree Fibers Clog Centrifugal Pump About Once a Month - Add screen to strainer?

I have a Pentair centrifugal pump. We have beautiful palms around the pool. About once a month I need to open up the Pentair pump and and pull out a tiny wad of palm fibers that get stuck in the center part of the impeller. It got so bad when we first moved in that the pump started to cavitate, be cause it was being starved for water on the input side. Since then I can recognize when it's getting clogged.

I have several points (leaf filter, skimmer, and pump strainer) that block debris from getting to the pump suction side, but these little fibers seem to get through somehow. Here is a link to the pump on Amazon that shows the pump and strainer setup.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...K5VVZA3VHLAA2M

I'm thinking about adding fine screen to the pump strainer to block the fibers getting to the impeller. There is rarely anything that gets stopped by the strainer.

Any suggestions of screen mesh to use?

Any downsides to what I'm thinking?
    12,000 IG Pebble Tech Pentair CCP320 cartridge filter
    Pentair Challenger High Pressure Pump CHII-NI-1-1/2FE

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Palm Tree Fibers Clog Centrifugal Pump About Once a Month - Add screen to straine

Try a skimmer sock. I use a one gallon paint strainer.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Palm Tree Fibers Clog Centrifugal Pump About Once a Month - Add screen to straine

This: Skimmer Sock/Nylon Illustrated

Queen-sized knee-highs. I actually prefer the white ones when i can get them.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

I have palms around my pool, and have never had the problem. I have a leaf canister just before my pump that I keep a ladies knee high in and my skimmers both have Home Depot paint strainers In them. That seems to catch a lot before the pump and filter. If you use knee highs, be sure to clean or replace them regularly or you will starve the water from the pump.
    chiefwej
    Tucson, AZ
    16x36 rectangular (19k) Pebble Tec play pool/spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS 011018, Super II 2hp (spa), Aqua Rite T-15 SWG, Pro Grid 60 DE, Hayward H400 & Heliocol Solar heating, A&A infloor system, fill water w/high CH and TA, 50 ppm borates,TF-100 test kit

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by chiefwej View Post
    I have palms around my pool, and have never had the problem. I have a leaf canister just before my pump that I keep a ladies knee high in and my skimmers both have Home Depot paint strainers In them. That seems to catch a lot before the pump and filter. If you use knee highs, be sure to clean or replace them regularly or you will starve the water from the pump.
    Awesome suggestions everyone. Sounds like paint strainers (on the skimmer basket and leaf canister) and knee high hose (in the pump strainer) to the rescue. I like the idea of two different levels of filtering... I will by them this weekend and see how it works... Next time I clean it out I'll add pictures...

6. Back To Top    #6

I once asked about putting skimmer sock into the pump basket and it was strongly discouraged. Skimmer socks (or paint strainer) belong in the skimmers only.
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

7. Back To Top    #7

I would not recommend putting any type of strainer / sock in the pump basket.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by Richard320 View Post
    Queen-sized knee-highs. I actually prefer the white ones when i can get them.
    Do you like the way they make your legs look?
    23' x 37' IG 18.5k gallon SWG w/ raised spa, Build Thread -->Here
    Wet Edge® Pearl Matrix®, Hayward® SwimClear™ 525 ft², Hayward® Goldline Controls® PS-8
    4x Hayward® TriStar™ pumps, Paramount PCC2000® ICS, TF-100 w/Speedstir

9. Back To Top    #9

TFP Guide

Don't try using anything in the pump basket. I have a separate leaf canister as part of an infloor cleaning system ahead of the pump. That's where I use knee highs. Otherwise you can put them in the skimmers, but that doesn't solve fibers picked up by a main drain.
    chiefwej
    Tucson, AZ
    16x36 rectangular (19k) Pebble Tec play pool/spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS 011018, Super II 2hp (spa), Aqua Rite T-15 SWG, Pro Grid 60 DE, Hayward H400 & Heliocol Solar heating, A&A infloor system, fill water w/high CH and TA, 50 ppm borates,TF-100 test kit

10. Back To Top    #10

Thanks for the continued suggestions. I went with the http://www.homedepot.com/p/Trimaco-1...36WF/202061359 Home Depot paint sock in the skimmer and leaf collector on my vacuum. Nothing in the pump strainer. We'll see how that does. Thanks for the awesome feedback.

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by Trebacz View Post
    Thanks for the continued suggestions. I went with the http://www.homedepot.com/p/Trimaco-1...36WF/202061359 Home Depot paint sock in the skimmer and leaf collector on my vacuum. Nothing in the pump strainer. We'll see how that does. Thanks for the awesome feedback.
    This is the same strainer i use in my skimmer. My pool is surrounded by pine trees and before using the strainer i was always cleaning out pine needles out of the pump basket. since using the strainer i never have to clean out the pump basket
    IG Tear Drop, Dark Gray Gunite , 27,000 gallons -Age 50+-years, very old Hayward Split Egg Sand Filter with side mount Multi-port- Hayward SP2600VSP Pump- Hayward chlorine feed (not used since finding TFP) - Laars 315K BTU Oil heater- LoopLoc Safety cover- AquaBot RAPIDS 4WD- TF-100 Test Kit w/ Speedstir- 390 Gal Hot Springs Spa Envoy installed May 2017

12. Back To Top    #12

Just wanted to update on this thread after a few months. The paint strainers from Home Depot work great. Since using them, I have no palm fibers getting stuck in the pump impeller. I'm amazed at how much sand they also catch, before it gets to the pump. Thanks for all the great suggestions.

13. Back To Top    #13

Just wanted to update on this thread after a few months. The paint strainers from Home Depot work great. Since using them, I have no palm fibers getting stuck in the pump impeller. I'm amazed at how much sand they also catch, before it gets to the pump. Thanks for all the great suggestions.
    Thanks for checking back in and letting us know!
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

14. Back To Top    #14

TFP Guide

I've found something even better than the paint strainers. This filters even finer and at $8.00 per 100, is very inexpensive to use and dispose. This is by far the best solution I have found yet for a strainer sock in my skimmer. Give them a try and see if you don't agree.

Amazon.com: Disposable Hair Net, Spun-Bonded Polypropylene, White, 100 per Bag: Office Products
    chiefwej
    Tucson, AZ

15. Back To Top    #15

The Home Depot paint strainers lasted about a year. I just got my first tear in one just this week. They did effectively block the palm tree strands and sand from getting to my pump (used one on the skimmer basket and leaf collector on my vacuum). Never had to open the pump to clean all year. The only complaint about them is the elastic disappeared after a few months, so I just tucked it into the leaf collector top and it worked. The one on the skimmer was tight enough it hasn't mattered.

Now I'm going to try the Disposable Hair Nets from Amazon - they are only $5.78 for 100. They are certainly cheaper (and finer isn't bad either) and hope that they last at least a few months.

16. Back To Top    #16

TFP Guide

The Home Depot paint strainers lasted about a year. I just got my first tear in one just this week. They did effectively block the palm tree strands and sand from getting to my pump (used one on the skimmer basket and leaf collector on my vacuum). Never had to open the pump to clean all year. The only complaint about them is the elastic disappeared after a few months, so I just tucked it into the leaf collector top and it worked. The one on the skimmer was tight enough it hasn't mattered.

Now I'm going to try the Disposable Hair Nets from Amazon - they are only $5.78 for 100. They are certainly cheaper (and finer isn't bad either) and hope that they last at least a few months.
    At $6 per hundred I change them once a week or even every couple days.
    chiefwej
    Tucson, AZ