Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: no pump one day is Ok?

1. Back To Top    #1

no pump one day is Ok?

good morning

would like to get kWh consumption without the pool pump running
    and now have a meter that reports kWh every day

ok to turn the pump off for a day? or something bad will happen?

thank you
    IG under fir trees and one cherry surrounded by grass built in 1979, 30k, plaster, old Sta-Rite HRPB30, 4.9 sq.ft, 20 GPM/sq.ft., but with new glass, new (in 2012) 1 HP WhisperFlo one speed, new (in 2013) Rainbow tab chlorinator attached at the top, old Maxi-Flo Heat Exchanger MF-260, Burnham V7 oil heater 245 MBH, new (in 2012) Compool to Easytouch, Taylor K-2005 and TF-100.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: no pump one day is Ok?

Raise the FC beforehand. Make a lap around the pool with the brush while the pump is off just to mix things. Shouldn't be a problem.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

.......or just get in and stir it up after mixing a bit!
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

4. Back To Top    #4

You could also take a meter measurement with the pump on vs off and then subtract out the energy use during it's run time.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by Richard320 View Post
    Raise the FC beforehand. Make a lap around the pool with the brush while the pump is off just to mix things. Shouldn't be a problem.
    got it, thanks, will do
    tho I hate brushing; never see anything happen; so is unfulfilling
    I like to vacuum; lots of instant gratification
    but
    will do, thanks
    IG under fir trees and one cherry surrounded by grass built in 1979, 30k, plaster, old Sta-Rite HRPB30, 4.9 sq.ft, 20 GPM/sq.ft., but with new glass, new (in 2012) 1 HP WhisperFlo one speed, new (in 2013) Rainbow tab chlorinator attached at the top, old Maxi-Flo Heat Exchanger MF-260, Burnham V7 oil heater 245 MBH, new (in 2012) Compool to Easytouch, Taylor K-2005 and TF-100.

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by mas985 View Post
    You could also take a meter measurement with the pump on vs off and then subtract out the energy use during it's run time.
    wish i could do that but...
    the output on the meter is 80kW units so does not change till 80kW units consumed, several days
    however
    now have an antenna that sends daily use to Puget Sound Energy and I can get daily reads on their web

why do I have 80 kWu meter? something to do with how Puget Sound Energy brought power to this place which I don't understand

7. Back To Top    #7

If you can retrieve daily usage on their website, can you also get an hourly breakdown? I know my electric provider (SoCal Edison) provides that info. Takes a bit of clicking around to get it, but it's useful in your situation. Being that you have a "smart meter" perhaps your utility provides hourly as well.

18,500K IG plaster, Pentair FNS+60 DE filter, Pentair Intelliflo VF 3HP, no SWG, Taylor K-2006-C, in Southern California (harsh water restrictions)

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by Donniesmail3353 View Post
    If you can retrieve daily usage on their website, can you also get an hourly breakdown?
    that would be slick
    will check it out
    even if I had to call in, would be slick

9. Back To Top    #9

We get hourly usage from the PG&E web site as well as the meter displays instantaneous power which is why I had suggested that. I think most of those digital meters can be configured to display instantaneous power but for some reason some power companies choose not to show it. You might ask if it can be enabled for your meter.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by mas985 View Post
    You might ask if it can be enabled for your meter.
    thank you

will check that out as well

11. Back To Top    #11

well, PSE answered
    no hourly reads
    no meter change
    so that is that
    but...
    tomorrow should have daily read with no pump so will have in fact an answer to house kWh with no pump

12. Back To Top    #12

It worked!
    No pump one day and all is fine in the pool
    By kWh subtraction pump consumes about 20 kWh / day running 12 hours / day
    And amps(7.4) * 240 / 1000 * 12 = ~21 kWh
    So all agrees.
    Nice when things agree.

13. Back To Top    #13

so had an unrequested one day no pump test
    had an unusual Aug wind storm with trees down all over Whidbey and power out 29 hrs
    pool filled with fir tree needles/cones and cooled down but was otherwise Ok

confirmed one day no pump > no problem
    I did sprinkle couple of gallons round the perimeter as per Richard320

used pool water to flush as well pump was off
    (kids said "this is really really exciting")
    I kinda agreed

14. Back To Top    #14

TFP Guide

Good idea on the use of the pool water!! I honestly think I would not have thought of that!
    Bob - Palm Beach by San Juan Pools. approx 5000 gals., Pentair 320 cartridge filter (all new guts installed by me), Goldline SWG, 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Intermec 104 Timer Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir

15. Back To Top    #15

Quote Originally Posted by pabeader View Post
    Good idea on the use of the pool water!!
    There is a down side. Bacteria in the septic system eat up the poop and chlorine kills them. But they should recover from a little bleach. And when the big one (earthquake) hits WA State, they will get lots and lots of bleach so was good rehearsal for them.

And
    while the buckets stood in the bathroom lots of chlorine disappeared. FC on the water after standing was 2 so the dose to the septic system was kinda low.

16. Back To Top    #16

TFP Guide

Heck, we have more FC in my city water than in my pool. I swear!
    Bob - Palm Beach by San Juan Pools. approx 5000 gals., Pentair 320 cartridge filter (all new guts installed by me), Goldline SWG, 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Intermec 104 Timer Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir

17. Back To Top    #17

More than likely it is CC and not FC. Municipal water districts tend to use CC as a disinfectant because it lasts longer in the water distribution system. Unfortunately, it tends to use up FC when added to pool water.
    Mark