First test results with a new pool. How am I looking?

May 16, 2015
Columbia, SC
I've been lurking around these forums for quite sometime gathering info but honestly it is like drinking from a firehose sometimes. Anyhow, I got my test ket in and just performed the test. Please interpret the results with the caveat that this is the very first time I've done this and could have very well screwed something up.

This is a vinyl, lazy-l, ~27k gal, salt water, and about 4 weeks old.

Please let me know what you think. Thanks for the help.

Here goes:

FC 8.5 ppm
PH 8
TA 90 ppm
CH 210 ppm
CY 45 ppm
Salt 3400 ppm

I've been lurking around these forums for quite sometime gathering info but honestly it is like drinking from a firehose sometimes. Anyhow, I got my test ket in and just performed the test. Please interpret the results with the caveat that this is the very first time I've done this and could have very well screwed something up.

This is a vinyl, lazy-l, ~27k gal, salt water, and about 4 weeks old.

Please let me know what you think. Thanks for the help.

Here goes:

FC 8.5 ppm
PH 8
TA 90 ppm
CH 210 ppm
CY 45 ppm
Salt 3400 ppm

Your pH is a touch high and your CYA is lower than you want it with a SWCG.

How does the water look??

Not too bad. Probably much better than if you had a pool service handle it.

The pH needs to come down and the CYA needs to come up a little and you could probably turn down the SWG or run the pump a little less because FC is higher than you need, but not to where you will be bleaching out swimsuits. You should check the CC as well.

When you added CYA, what did you target, and how long ago did you add it? And what does the water look like?

Wow. I didn't expect to see so many responses so quickly. Thank you all very much.

Your pH is a touch high and your CYA is lower than you want it with a SWCG.

How does the water look??

The water looks perfect. Crystal clear.

Not too bad. Probably much better than if you had a pool service handle it.

The pH needs to come down and the CYA needs to come up a little and you could probably turn down the SWG or run the pump a little less because FC is higher than you need, but not to where you will be bleaching out swimsuits. You should check the CC as well.

When you added CYA, what did you target, and how long ago did you add it? And what does the water look like?

I have added nothing to the pool myself. The installer set the pool up for us, then came back a few weeks later to make some adjustments. Looking at the suggestions, I think that will change as soon as I make a trip to Lowes/HD.

The pump comment is very insightful as this has been in the back of my mind. The installer has it set to run 24 hrs in the 1800 rpm range, if I recall correctly. Thanks to TFP, I've learned that this is a waste of energy and I've been meaning to dial the time back a bit.

For the muriatic acid, does anyone have a feel for how many gallons I might require to get me in the ideal range?

Thanks again!

Just plug your numbers into Pool Calculator
http://poolcalculator.com/index.html

For 27k vinyl pool on SWG
That reading of 8 may be even higher as you are at limit of test.
But start off assuming it is 8
Means you need 31oz of MA to bring it down to 7.5.

Once you add it in front of a return jet, let is circulate for an hour then retest.

They usually sell MA in a 2x1gal jugs in a box where I am, so get one of those and you will be right for future adjustments. Coat about $11

Hi Hamsammich (like that handle),

Well there's not much I could add to what you've been told, BUT in light of a recent post, PLEASE read about adding the MA safely (just being redundant :rolleyes:)

AS Richard320 suggested, adjust the SWG or pump runtime, till you find that sweet spot. What I do is find the shortest pump runtime that will keep the pool "clean" and adjust SWG to maintain high side of FC level. It doesn't matter if SWG runs 100 % for 4 hours or 50% for 8 hours, cell life will be the same. If SWG can't keep up at short runtime then bump up runtime and adjust SWG, etc. etc. ;)

oh yeah.... Welcome to TFP :wave:

Great news. Apparently my PH was very high, as many of you suggested. I did a PH demand test and it indicated that I would require almost a gallon of muriatic acid to get in back in line. I added the gallon and retested today. I'm very happy to say that the PH was in the 7.4-7.5 range. I guess I'll go after the CYA next.

Are there any pitfalls or tricks that I should be aware of as I get my levels in order?

Thanks again for all of the help.

Great news. Apparently my PH was very high, as many of you suggested. I did a PH demand test and it indicated that I would require almost a gallon of muriatic acid to get in back in line. I added the gallon and retested today. I'm very happy to say that the PH was in the 7.4-7.5 range. I guess I'll go after the CYA next.

Are there any pitfalls or tricks that I should be aware of as I get my levels in order?

Thanks again for all of the help.
Down near the bottom of poolmath in the row labeled "Suggested Goal Levels" you can select your pool surface and chlorine source and whose ideals you want (hint: use TFP) Then it will autofill the suggested ranges.

Note that when you plug in your goals, that the TA value will affect the pH adjustment. So don't grab a jug of acid until after you've filled out all the Now readings. And when you select a Target, if you're within the range, just enter the now value as the target and move on. No need to micromanage everything.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.