Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Water Level

1. Back To Top    #1

Water Level

Are there any pros or cons to keeping ones water level above the halfway point of the skimmer which seems to be the manufacturer's suggested level?
    Steve
    Atlanta, GA

Inground Vinyl, 30,000 gallon, 20x40 Lagoon, Pentair Single Speed 1-1/2 hp Superflow, Pentair SD 80 Sand Filter, Polaris 280 cleaner w/ Booster pump, Pentair Easytouch.

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Water Level

Hi, Steve,

The skimmer will not have the same flow of water on the surface. i.e. it will not suck in as much debris.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

But on the other hand... less chance of the skimmer sucking air if for some reason the water level goes unchecked for a while. (The lower draw Dave mentions is a non-issue on the pools we build - there's always a return pointed at each skimmer to 'force' floating debris into them )
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)

4. Back To Top    #4

So you are darned if you do and darned if you don't!

Bottom line, if you are getting good surface skimming and the water is staying clear then it should not be a major problem. If you skimming drops to near nonexistent (and I have seen that happen) then don't overfill the pool. It's all about the circulation. If you have both a skimmer and a main drain systems often you can compensate by opening the skimmer more and the drain less.

5. Back To Top    #5

If you have a weir, wouldn't that eliminate the problem because it is always just below the waters surface no matter where it is on the skimmer?

Adam
    18' x 42" Intex Easyset Pool, with 16' x 52" deep end in the middle. Approx. 5500 Gal.
    Hayward Power-Flo LX 1 HP, 100# Jacuzzi Brand Sand Filter(Piped underground so it looks nice) 8)
    3 - 2' x 20' Solar Pool Heater Panels(roof mounted)
    Goin' on 9 summers...NOBODY thought it would last this long.
    Buried Portable Spa sharing pumps and water with pool (Almost complete project)

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

If you have a weir, wouldn't that eliminate the problem because it is always just below the waters surface no matter where it is on the skimmer?
    It assists but doesn't eliminate it. The water "leaks" around the sides of the weir and the fuller the pool, the more area the water has to leak.

I have run my pool an inch or less above the skimmer throat and the skimming is pretty darn strong. I have almost run it to the top of the skimmers as well and the leaves, etc. pass by pretty easily. It's a very noticeable difference.....at least on my pool.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

7. Back To Top    #7

My brother left the water hose in the pool a little too long while I was away and now the water level is all the way to the top of the pool (above skimmer). I am so angry because I said make sure it doesn't go above the half-way skimmer line because the pool builder told me so.

I just hope nothing is broken or the weight of all that extra water damages something.
    Viking Pool - Ceramic Fiberglass - Key West Sapphire Blue - 9,000 gallons
    Aqua Rite Goldline SWG
    Sta-Rite PXC150 Cartridge Filter
    Sta-Rite MPRA6F-148L 1.5 hp Pump

8. Back To Top    #8

if the water weight damages it you have big problems anyway. what happens when rain does the same thing?
    16x32 21,000 gallon in-ground exposed aggregate, 1.5hp pump, 120 sqft catridge filter, birdcage, solar panels, aquavac tigershark qc robot.

9. Back To Top    #9

I can attest to my personal experiences with heavy rain down pours and skimming. A few months ago in Houston we were having rains like you wouldnt believe and twice my pool crested, well above the skimmers. Yet, I continued running the pumps until I could bleed off the excess water and no issues were observed.
    13,500 gallon free form Pebble Tec pool- 2 skimmers
    Pentair Intelli-Flow filter pump, Pentair Intelli-Super Flo booster pump, waterfall pump, Del Ozone Eclipse 1 generator, Pentair Clean & Clear Plus Cartridge filtration, Nature 2 XG Clear Vision, In-line Chlorinator, Polaris 280, Raypack heater, and Color Logic LED lights.

Proud user of BBB, pool school, pool calculator, TF-100, and the advice of the friendly people here!

10. Back To Top    #10

Speaking of Weir flaps - in the closed position should the flap have any gap at the top? My Weir Flaps are 5-1/2" tall and leave a 1-1/2" gap at the top. Of course the water level never comes close to that gap. These look like after market ones and just checking to see if they are miss sized.
    16,000 gal IG Double Roman Plaster Pool (16yrs - plaster redone 2014)
    Pentair FNS-48 DE filter with WhisperFlo 2HP single speed pump
    Polaris 280 robot
    BBB all the way and tested with a TF100 kit
    Pool Calc user

11. Back To Top    #11

I have always set my water level around 1"-1/2" from the top of the skimmer (usually the higher side) with absolutely no problems gettng a good debris flow into the skimmer. My return is pointed in a manner intended to push the flow that direction. As long as junk can flow in there, it's all good.
    18x33x52 Buttressfree Seaspray (Wilbar) AGP - 1.5hp Pentair Maxim w/22" Pentair Meteor Sand Filter, Aqua Rite SWG System, Biltmore Walk In Steps - 2/4x20 Solar Panel Setup - Doheny Jet Drive (RIP -Pool Rover Jr) - finally hard plumbed the whole darned thing -
    Beats Driving to the Lake!