Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: What to do about liner bleaching?

1. Back To Top    #1
    Spartanburg, SC

What to do about liner bleaching?

Liner is bleached in some big spots. What can I do about the bleached areas?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

2. Back To Top    #2
    Longview, Texas

Re: What to do about liner bleaching?

There really isnt much you can do about a liner that is already bleached or faded.
    Liners are "printed" with dye and once the dye is faded, then its done.

Isolated spots of fading are generally caused by a concentration of chemicals in that area. Likely the result of adding liquid chemicals too fast or adding them in an area with poor or no water circulation.

In the future though, you should be able to prevent that by adding liquid chemicals by pouring them very slowly in front of a return and let the pump continue to run for at least 30 minutes after adding them, so they get mixed well in the pool.
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge. Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry
    Sebring, Florida

+1 what divin dave said.
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4
    Houston, Texas

Pretty much your only option is a new liner, since you can't restore the color once it is faded. The next question is figuring out if it has faded pre-maturely and if the way you or a former owner added the chemicals caused the fading.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5
    SouthWest Alabama

While it may be bleaching, it could also just be fading. One whole section of my liner is lighter than the rest from seam to seam.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

6. Back To Top    #6
    Charlotte NC

My liner faded a little after an aggressive SLAM. It's not as "blue" as it was before, but it still functions perfectly and I'm not worried about it. A slightly lighter liner is better than green cloudy water!
    16'x48" Summer Escapes Pro-Series, AG, Ultra-Frame, Intex CS15110 Sand filter/SWG, 5061 GAL, TF-100 Test Kit w/ K-1766 Salt Test and Speedstir.
    Pool School, ABC's of Water Chemistry, CYA/Chlorine Chart, Water Balance for SWG's, Pool Math.