Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pebble Tec turned white

1. Back To Top    #1

Pebble Tec turned white

I treated algae stains on my pebble tec surface by letting granular shock sit on the stain.

It killed the algae, but left a white stain that I cannot remove with a wire brush.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pebble Tec turned white

Welcome to TFP!

I'm sorry to say you will not be able to "remove" the white stain as it is now a place where all color has been bleached out of the pool surface. Think of splashing bleach on a colored pair,of pants, it takes the color away permanently.

You should never let pool chemicals sit on the surface of the pool or damage can occur.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome to TFP!

Have to agree with Tim, sorry you did not find us first.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

Yes, that's what happened, and I wish I could disagree with the above. Sorry to hear it for you.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

5. Back To Top    #5

I have a question. Is it just the cement portion between the pebbles that has turned white, or does the white also cover the pebbles too?

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks to all.

The white stain does not appear to be on the pebbles. Interestingly, as I use a wire brush, it creates a white cloud.

7. Back To Top    #7

That is interesting and confusing. If the white stain is not on the pebbles, that would indicate that the chlorine shock "bleached" out the color pigment of the cement portion of the surface finish.
    However, you also indicate that a white cloud develops when brushing. So that indicates calcium scaling on the cement portion, which is possible because "granular shock" is usually Cal Hypo which contains calcium.
    So a close-up picture or two would be beneficial. Can you post a couple of pictures? I am very curious about this.