Need to backwash, but if I open drain, water rushes out as pool empties into my lawn

Jul 7, 2015
Los Angeles
What am I missing?

I've watched about 10 videos now on how to backwash a sand filter and none of them look like what I'm experiencing.

I turn off the pump.

I unscrew the drain seal, and WWHOOOSH! water begins to flow out and doesn't stop.

In the videos I've seen, people unscrew that cover and no water comes out until they turn the pump back on.

What am I doing wrong?

I have an above ground 15' x 48" Intex pool, and using the Intex Krystal Clear Sand Filter Pump.
My water flow is super duper low and I'm guessing it's because I've never backwashed.

Thanks for any help!

Put the filter in the Closed position, close the plunger valve at pool outlet, unscrew the drain cap and connect drain hose, then open plunger valve, put filter in backwash position and turn pump on. If your pool does not have the plunger valves, use one of those black rubber caps to block the outlet.

Last edited:
I watched one video on u tube to see how the intex works. As soon as the guy turned the multiport selector to back wash, I could hear water hitting the ground from the hose he connected. This works the same as my sand filter on my AGP. Whenever I select rinse or backwash, I get water flow as the multiport opens a path inside the filter to that port. This is normal for an above ground filter. If you get water flow from the backwash port when it is in filter mode, you need to repair the multiport valve or the spider gasket uder it.

It is possibly, since you have never backwashed, that the pump pressure building on the top side of the filter may have damaged the spider gasket. The pump will want to move water thru there somehow and if it can't get thru the sand it could push past the spider gasket.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.