Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Need to backwash, but if I open drain, water rushes out as pool empties into my lawn

1. Back To Top    #1

Need to backwash, but if I open drain, water rushes out as pool empties into my lawn

What am I missing?

I've watched about 10 videos now on how to backwash a sand filter and none of them look like what I'm experiencing.

I turn off the pump.

I unscrew the drain seal, and WWHOOOSH! water begins to flow out and doesn't stop.

In the videos I've seen, people unscrew that cover and no water comes out until they turn the pump back on.

What am I doing wrong?

I have an above ground 15' x 48" Intex pool, and using the Intex Krystal Clear Sand Filter Pump.
    My water flow is super duper low and I'm guessing it's because I've never backwashed.

Thanks for any help!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Need to backwash, but if I open drain, water rushes out as pool empties into my l

Put the filter in the Closed position, close the plunger valve at pool outlet, unscrew the drain cap and connect drain hose, then open plunger valve, put filter in backwash position and turn pump on. If your pool does not have the plunger valves, use one of those black rubber caps to block the outlet.
    Last edited by Mickelin; 08-08-2015 at 02:59 AM. Reason: Incomplete
    Intex Ultra Frame 24'x12'x52" (732cm x 366cm) rectangular pool
    Intex SF80220RC (1600 GPH) pump/sandfilter
    Intex SF10220 (1050 GPH) pump/sandfilter driving the
    Intex Automatic Pool Cleaner
    Intex 8220 ECO SWG, Brilix XHP100 9kW heatpump

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

Re: Need to backwash, but if I open drain, water rushes out as pool empties into my l

I watched one video on u tube to see how the intex works. As soon as the guy turned the multiport selector to back wash, I could hear water hitting the ground from the hose he connected. This works the same as my sand filter on my AGP. Whenever I select rinse or backwash, I get water flow as the multiport opens a path inside the filter to that port. This is normal for an above ground filter. If you get water flow from the backwash port when it is in filter mode, you need to repair the multiport valve or the spider gasket uder it.

It is possibly, since you have never backwashed, that the pump pressure building on the top side of the filter may have damaged the spider gasket. The pump will want to move water thru there somehow and if it can't get thru the sand it could push past the spider gasket.
    Unknown make 18' above ground (bought used in 1999) Sparco sand filter. Hayward 100,000 BTu heater. 2 speed pump

4. Back To Top    #4

With my sand filter-------------as soon as the lever is at the backwash position water starts coming out. When I turn the pump on it comes out even faster. Same thing for when I turn it to rinse.

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit