Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Algae Assistance & slamming

1. Back To Top    #1

Algae Assistance & slamming

I have a Algae problem (not sure if it is mustard or not) but i have been running the calculations to get the cya up (which is up to 50 ppm). Wondering if that would be enough to start slamming the pool or should I wait and raise it based on the slamming chart for SWG. I have brushed and swept the pool and of course it is still there. I just want to make sure that when I add the bleach for slamming its going to be super effective.

FC 1
    cc 0.8
    ph 7.2
    Ta 40
    CH 80
    salt 600
    We have a Intex 26' x 52" Ultra Frame Swimming Pool it holds 14,667 gallons of water. It is above ground. It is sitting on a 32x32 sand box. The pump we are running is hard lined inIntex 28681EG 120V 16-Inch Krystal Clear Sand Filter Pump & Saltwater System 2650 gal/hr pump. 1) Taylor Technologies Inc K-2006 complete Chlorine FAS-DPD test kit. 2) Taylor Technologies Inc K-1766 Drop test Chloride Salt water test kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Algae Assistance & slamming

If you are going to SLAM you don't want the CYA up. You want it about 30 as that will take the least amount of,chlorine to conduct the SLAM. The CYA recommendation for a SWG pool is for after it is clean and balanced. The higher the CYa the higher the FC needs to be to get to shock level.

Also, during the SLAM turn your SWG off and manually chlorinate with liquid chlorine.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

3. Back To Top    #3

well crud i have been trying to raise the cya. So i should go ahead with the slamming (at which I'm using 6% Liquid Bleach) and then worry about the cya being any higher. So what should I raise the The FC to and for how long. I know I should run the pump 24 hours, should I follow (shock FC 20) for the non swg.

Sorry I'm a total noob. and Doing the best I can because I do not know anyone that has a pool.

(also with a slam level of FC of 20 would it be safe to get in it and vaccum it out)

thanks for the help Tim
    We have a Intex 26' x 52" Ultra Frame Swimming Pool it holds 14,667 gallons of water. It is above ground. It is sitting on a 32x32 sand box. The pump we are running is hard lined inIntex 28681EG 120V 16-Inch Krystal Clear Sand Filter Pump & Saltwater System 2650 gal/hr pump. 1) Taylor Technologies Inc K-2006 complete Chlorine FAS-DPD test kit. 2) Taylor Technologies Inc K-1766 Drop test Chloride Salt water test kit

4. Back To Top    #4

You want alt least 8.25%'bleach which is available at Walmart, but 10/12.5% from a pool,store would,be better. Most pool stores in Florida have bulk chlorine available in like a 2 gallon returnable container. A SLAM at high CYA with 6% will take massive numbers of bottles.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

Welcome to the forum.
    Sorry I'm a total noob. and Doing the best I can because I do not know anyone that has a pool
    Now, you know thousands of people with pools. We'll all help. From reading your posts, your knowledge of pool chemistry and the SLAM seems limited. I suggest you read "The ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry" up in Pool School. Next, read the SLAM article.

Those two articles are your bible to getting started. We'll help and answer all questions along the way.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

OH yeah! Another Florida person! I have been to Milton!

We have you covered with links and answers to any questions you will have.

Here is a the FC/CYA chart. Please print it out and highlight your SLAM levels.

Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart

Please note that your FC level is 20 with your CYA at 50. You do not want your CYA any higher.

What stores do you have easy access to? I see that you have 6% bleach. That WILL work but it will take lugging MANY jugs home and to the recycle bin.

PLEASE ask any/all questions you might have no matter how small.

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

7. Back To Top    #7

What test kit are you using? Before you start the slam you will want to make sure you have plenty of FC test reagent on hand. If you do not have an FAS/DPD test kit then you will need one to complete the slam.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

8. Back To Top    #8

1) Taylor Technologies Inc K-2006 complete Chlorine FAS-DPD test kit
    2) Taylor Technologies Inc K-1766 Drop test Chloride Salt water test kit
    3) I have already bought the bleach so thats not a problem.
    4) I have read over the slamming article but do to my lack of experience of owning a pool it did not make alot of sense. (but I'm learning)

9. Back To Top    #9

Keep Calm I should have slammed it at 30 cya. I did go back and reread the article.

Also on my Intex pump It does not have a way to just "turn off the chlorinator" should I just uplug the the Copper Electrode For Saltwater System and the Titanium Electrode and allow it to just filter that way.

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by redline95240sx View Post
    Keep Calm I should have slammed it at 30 cya. I did go back and reread the article.

Also on my Intex pump It does not have a way to just "turn off the chlorinator" should I just uplug the the Copper Electrode For Saltwater System and the Titanium Electrode and allow it to just filter that way.
    yes to both. I would also recommend removing the copper system entirely if that is possible. Copper in the water leads to stains and blond hair turning green.

11. Back To Top    #11

Well no blonde hair to worry about on that note...lol

Also with a SWG you need the Copper Ion. This is what I found on that.

That and I did find a way to turn the chlorinator of so that won't be a problem.

How do copper ions sanitize my pool? How do they work with chlorine?

When copper and HClO (Hypochlorous acid)/ClO- are released into the water, these positive, surface active ions form electrostatic bonds on negatively charged areas of microorganism cell walls. Copper ions and natural chlorine are a powerful algae-fighting combination: not only do they kill bacteria cells, but copper hinders bacteria’s reproduction process, preventing the problem before it starts. Copper ionization increases the efficiency of the saltwater system, requiring less energy and less chlorine output than a saltwater chlorinator alone.

12. Back To Top    #12

Fortunately the Water is not green as what is on the slamming instruction page but you can see the little rows at the bottom of the pool. So I think one slamming will kill it. (crossing fingers)

13. Back To Top    #13

Well no blonde hair to worry about on that note...lol

Also with a SWG you need the Copper Ion. This is what I found on that.

That and I did find a way to turn the chlorinator of so that won't be a problem.

How do copper ions sanitize my pool? How do they work with chlorine?

When copper and HClO (Hypochlorous acid)/ClO- are released into the water, these positive, surface active ions form electrostatic bonds on negatively charged areas of microorganism cell walls. Copper ions and natural chlorine are a powerful algae-fighting combination: not only do they kill bacteria cells, but copper hinders bacteria’s reproduction process, preventing the problem before it starts. Copper ionization increases the efficiency of the saltwater system, requiring less energy and less chlorine output than a saltwater chlorinator alone.
    That is marketing speak to sell copper systems. You do not need copper for a SWG to work. SWG creates chlorine. Keep the chlorine at the correct level based on your CYA and algae can't grow. You don't need copper.

14. Back To Top    #14

SWG does not need copper to work. Over time it will cause more harm than good. It can cause staining of your liner and problems with your equipment.

Please do some searches here on TFP and you will find many threads about it. Look for Chem Geeks post as he has the science behind it.

With the proper level of FC your pool will look like a jewel!

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

15. Back To Top    #15

Just to be clear and make sure that I am on the same page as you guys on this. I should be able to remove this ( Copper Electrode For Saltwater System And Sand Filter Combo - Intex ) and run it with just the titanium Electrode.

16. Back To Top    #16

Also have a question about the algae do they come up in little pods. Because mine is not looking like the algae (regular or mustard) that I have seen photos on. They are little pods that float and they bunch up on the bottom of the pool as well.

Also I do want to thank everyone for helping me out. I don't want to sound like I'm arguing or being a jerk I can only go by what I read.

17. Back To Top    #17

In the Industry

Do you have a picture of the "pods". There are FAR too many species of algae to list but chlorine will get every one of them. Not sure i have ever seen one "pod"-like, though.
    Dave S.

18. Back To Top    #18

20150808_165229.jpg Here is just one of the pods.

- - - Updated - - -

If you have ever seen Aliens with the face hugger pods that what spots in my pool look like. lol

19. Back To Top    #19

In the Industry

Can't tell much from the pic because I can't figure out the scale but that looks like a more complex organism than single cell algae. Do you have a tree shedding those?
    Dave S.

20. Back To Top    #20

Just to be clear and make sure that I am on the same page as you guys on this. I should be able to remove this ( Copper Electrode For Saltwater System And Sand Filter Combo - Intex ) and run it with just the titanium Electrode.
    Yes. It's the titanium electrode that converted the salt to chlorine.

The copper electrode is just dumping copper ions into the water. For full disclosure, copper does kill algae. It is just that the negatives of copper don't outweigh the positives. It doesn't kill a lot of other bad stuff in the water, so you still have to have chlorine. As chlorine kills algae it makes the copper unnecessary.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by duraleigh View Post
    Can't tell much from the pic because I can't figure out the scale but that looks like a more complex organism than single cell algae. Do you have a tree shedding those?
    while I won't try to go into the complexity of the organism I do agree that it looks more like something that has blown into the pool from the surrounding environment; check trees, bushes & flowers for something similar.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast