Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: CYA Issues

1. Back To Top    #1

CYA Issues

Moderator comment - Moved from here: CYA 152 Should I Add Optimize or Stablizer

Hello,

After fighting high CYA for a year, we finally had so much rain, the pool was practically refilled. Right after the rains my CYA was around 40. On this weeks test it appears I have no CYA. Using the black dot test and did it three times. My pool is eating chlorine, I've been having to add a gallon every day this week (yes, it should have been a clue). Our pool temp is 95 degrees! I have a little algae in two corners, so I'm starting a slam. Should I add stabilizer first? Any preference to the brand of stabilizer?

Thank you in advance, I couldn't do this without everyone sharing their knowledge.
    Pool size = 16,000 gal, IG Fiberglass, 2 speed hayward pump with cartridge filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: CYA 152 Should I Add Optimize or Stablizer

Where are you located? If your screen name indicates Texas(?) you'll find it difficult/impossible to maintain SLAM levels of FC without any stabilizer, given the amount of sunlight on the pool. I don't think the brand matters, just check label for cyanuric acid (and no other mystery ingredients).
    18' x 48" ring top pool (Summer Escapes); 5500 gallons; set up June - October, stored during winter; Intex 2500 gph pump (B size cartridge filter) Hayward 21" sand filter + 1.5 hp single speed Powerflo Matrix pump (upgrade October 2016) *** K-2006 test kit, refills from tftestkits

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: CYA Issues

Hi Texgal,
    add enough CYA to get to 30ppm, and slam away.

Brand doesnt matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Texgal View Post
    Moderator comment - Moved from here: CYA 152 Should I Add Optimize or Stablizer

Hello,

After fighting high CYA for a year, we finally had so much rain, the pool was practically refilled. Right after the rains my CYA was around 40. On this weeks test it appears I have no CYA. Using the black dot test and did it three times. My pool is eating chlorine, I've been having to add a gallon every day this week (yes, it should have been a clue). Our pool temp is 95 degrees! I have a little algae in two corners, so I'm starting a slam. Should I add stabilizer first? Any preference to the brand of stabilizer?

Thank you in advance, I couldn't do this without everyone sharing their knowledge.
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

4. Back To Top    #4

Re: CYA Issues

Thank you Divin Dave!
    Pool size = 16,000 gal, IG Fiberglass, 2 speed hayward pump with cartridge filter