Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Chlorine in a bromine pool.. good or bad?

1. Back To Top    #1

Chlorine in a bromine pool.. good or bad?

I'm a fairly new pool owner but I have been using the forum for help but can't find much information to help my current problem. Recently my pool was clear and all of my levels were fairly in range except for the Bromine. My Bromine was low and I was battling it with my brominator turned to high. The tabs were dissolving but there was nothing showing on my DPD test. Bromine was zero. So I read a researched that you can activate the bromine with liquid that correct? If not then I screwed this up. I added chlorine a few days ago but it turned my clear blue water a cloudy bluish green color. I ran my pump for a few days and no change. Then I read that it must be metals in my water so I added a bottle of Metal Free last night and still no change. How can I get back to clear water? Also, I battle with my bromine is there a way to quickly increase the bromine levels?

pH- 8.0
    CH - 200
    TA - 120

pool store values are the similar as my test but they said my bromine was zero and my phosphates are at 1000 and copper and iron are zero

Any help would be appreciated since this is my first post

2. Back To Top    #2
    Mod Squad
    DFW, TX

Re: Chlorine in a bromine pool.. good or bad?

Welcome to TFP! Congrats on the newish pool!

I do not know a thing about bromine. But, I do know where this handy article about bromine is in Pool School.
    How do I use Bromine in my spa (or pool)?
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

3. Back To Top    #3
    Lexington Park MD

Well me to TFP same here I don't know a thing about bromine but I'm surely learning here
    6280 Gal Intex 17' x 52" Metal Frame AG
    2500 GPH Filter Pump
    Intex Krystal clear SWG
    Taylor K-2005 With FAS-DPD Drop TEST KIT And Speedstir
    Intex Robot Pool Cleaner

4. Back To Top    #4

San Rafael, CA USA

If you have either initially added a bromide bank (i.e. added sodium bromide to the pool) or have been using bromine for a while so spent bromine will have built up a bromide bank, then yes if you were to add chlorine or any other oxidizer to the pool (i.e. non-chlorine shock, ozone, etc.) then it will reactivate the bromide to bromine.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"