Output Percentage for run-time vs powerd-on time

Jun 7, 2015
Norco, CA
I have a Pentair SWG and am working on dialing in my percentage and runtime. I currently have have it set at 80% and run my pump @ 1700 rpm for 6 hours. I run another 6 hours @ 1000 rpm for circulation. During the 1k rpm cycle, the SWG reports "low flow" which is expected. From my understanding, no chlorine is being generated at this time. Is the 80% being calculated for the entire time the SWG is powered on (ie. 12 hours in my case) or for only the 6 hours where I have a high enough flow?

I have a feeling it is for the entire powered on time because I was originally running for 8 hours @ 1700 rpm and 4 hours @ 1000 rpm and after lowering that there has been no change in my FC levels.

Thanks,
Matt

I run another 6 hours @ 1000 rpm for circulation.
Why? The first 6 hours should be more than enough run time for just circulation. In fact, 2 hours is more than enough for just circulation.

I run mine at 1100 rpm and it keeps my SWG happy flow wise. I would think, but do not know, that the 80% should only count when it is generating. I would dial in something at 1100-1200 rpm, or whatever makes the SWG happy, and run it 6-8 hours or so.

Thanks for the info. I figured running at such a low rpm wouldn't hurt anything considering it uses very little electricity. My SWG wasn't happy until about 1600 rpm flow wise so maybe I need to clean my filter so I can run at a lower rpm. I am still curious about the percentages being calculated based on total generation time or powered on time.

I have cut out running the additional 6 hours @ 1k rpm for now and am running 6 hours @ 1700 rpm with the SWG at 60%.

Thanks,
Matt

The Intelliflo will still use around 150 watts @ 1000 RPM which is 27 kwh over a month so not completely insignificant.

I am still curious about the percentages being calculated based on total generation time or powered on time.
I believe it is based on total pump run time regardless of the flow switch state.

Of course the swg should be on when pump is running. The issue as i understand is 2 different pump speeds programed. The slower speed not satisfying the flow switch.
Technically swg %out is based on run time. 8 hrs run time at 50%output would be 4 hours of chlorine being produced.

Of course the swg should be on when pump is running. The issue as i understand is 2 different pump speeds programed. The slower speed not satisfying the flow switch.
Technically swg %out is based on run time. 8 hrs run time at 50%output would be 4 hours of chlorine being produced.

The manual does not say if a flow switch interruption (low flow) resets the internal duty cycle timer that controls the chlorine output. I think you would have to call Pentair Tech Support to find out exactly.

If the flow switch does reset the duty cycle timer, then that would be a poor design since you could potentially operate the IC unit right on the edge of the minimum flow rate and cause the unit to keep cycling its chlorine production timer back to 00:00. It would make the most sense to simply have the flow switch interrupt the chlorine generation but not the timer that measures the duty cycle.

Of course, those are details you'd have to get from Pentair. Proper operation of the cell would be to ensure a pump speed that always supplies enough flow during the times you want the unit to generate and to not operate at a flow rate so low that you would inadvertently trip the sensor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I would think that the unit would only count actual production time. I would think that it would not count any time the unit was not producing due to a flow fault. However, I don't know for sure.

Let me start over here. I have a Hayward unit. I believe most swg unit operate in a like fashion. The point I was trying to make, is 50% is 50% any way you want to slice it. Lets take the same 8 hour run time and a 50% output setting. That calculates to 4 hours of total chlorine production. Now lets say during the same 8 hour pump run time that the flow switch stops working for whatever reason for 1 hour. The Swg panel does not know that the pump is still running. It uses the input from the flow switch to tell the swg panel that it's running. Therefore you now have 7 hours divided by 50%=3 1/2 hours of total chlorine production.
This is how Hayward tech support explained this subject to me last year on a phone call.. I could be wrong about the Pentair unit. I would like to know what Pentair has to say.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.