PebbleSheen Replaster - Salt startup

muffin_dad

Jan 6, 2014
FloMo, TX
Hi guys, completed a pebblesheen replaster about 6 weeks ago. Thanks to TFP, my test kit and lots of testing my water chem is dialed in. Now it's been 30+ days and finally time to add salt! I haven't seen any particular startup instructions for salt in this forum so I'm asking here. The PebbleTech rep was out to the house and she gave me the instructions below.

Appreciate feedback!

DAY BEFORE SALT ADDITION

Backwash, add DE

Test pool water. Adjust the following parameters:

Free chlorine to at least 2 ppm
Lower pH to about 7.0 – 7.2

Just make sure the rest are within the following:
Total alkalinity 90 – 110 ppm
Calcium hardness 180 – 250 ppm
Cyanuric acid 30 – 50 ppm

Also add 2 quarts of Jack’s Magic Purple Stuff. Brush the whole pool. Leave equipment running 24/7.

DAY OF SALT ADDITION

Check pH and make sure it is 7.0 – 7.2

Add salt (preferably granular form) and no more than 2 – 3 bags at a time.

Brush until dissolved and add 2-3 more.

Only add about 2/3 of what is recommended. Brush until completely dissolved – leave equipment running 24/7.

NEXT DAY

Test water for Free chlorine, pH and salt ppm

Make adjustments as necessary, first to chlorine then pH and then finally add salt (if needed) run 24/7.

FOLLOWING DAY

Retest to verify proper readings. Reschedule pool to run normal schedule. You still may need to test
daily for the next 2-3 days to get the chlorine regulated to the proper percentage.

I would skip the sequestering agents (Jack's Magic stuff) unless you know you have metal problems in your water. There's no need to add it if you don't need it. If you are on city water, odds are good you do not have metals in your water. Take a sample to your pool store and have them verify since most of us probably don't have metal detection tests on hand.

FWIW, I'm at day 23 from fill-up of my Pebble Sheen finish (Blue Granite like you...came out a little more grey than I expected but we like it). Did your surface get acid washed prior to fill-up? If so, you probably don't have anything to brush. I brushed a bit at the beginning but didn't see the point of it so I stopped.

All the levels sound fine to me although I don't think I'd go below 7.2 on the pH. General instructions also sound fine. :)

How has your pH been doing? Are you adding a decent amount of acid? Mine keeps creeping up but I'm told this is normal as the surface continues to cure. I'm almost to the point where I need to add baking soda to bump up the TA (in the 70-80 range right now).

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.