SWG not working, any problem using just bleach with salt levels at 3500?

Jabo

Jun 15, 2014
Freeport IL
SWG not working well this year. I think because high calcium content in our water. I think there is no problem converting totally to bleach, but just wanted to be sure with the higher salt content in the water now.

Last tests were this morning:
FC 0
CC .5
PH 7.5
CYA 70
CH 250 (that was a week ago)
TA 220 also a week ago

Water temp has been about 84 degrees but cooler weather so dropped to 79 today.

Any problem switching to bleach alone? I have been adding a little bleach every other day because of low FC levels anyway for the past 2 weeks. Been running the SWG for 7 hours/day the last week (after cleaning, it corroded again right away) so think it is not working at all now. Thanks.

There is no problem using bleach in a high salt pool. Your CH of 250 is not high so having such problems with your SWG is strange. Maybe the SWG is not automatically reversing its polarity the way it is supposed to and that's why calcium carbonate is building up assuming you are seeing such scale on it. Or perhaps there is some other flaw with it -- if it's older, it is possible that it has degraded since they do have a limited lifetime (modern plates last around 10,000 hours of use).

Thank you. Sorry CH was 275, TA has always remained 220 or above, so I thought the problem was calcium. SWG was very corroded when cleaned but appears to be same after a week of use so yes, must be something not working. Turned it off, hadn't planned to disconnect until I close the pool though. It is an Intex SWG so no readings on it, just set timer for how long to run and go. Only 2nd year of use. It sounds like the TFPC is primarily bleach so it should be more reliable in the end. Thanks again.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.