Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Need design advice regarding slopes

1. Back To Top    #1

Need design advice regarding slopes

Hi pool aficionados,

A landscaper/PB came by today to discuss our project, curvy inground pool, and he threw us for a big loop: He thinks we should excavate the grassed area where the pool and new patios will go down 2 feet to match the grade of the adjoining patio, and build low retaining walls around the gardens. The existing slate patio and brick retaining wall would be removed, and replaced with pavers. The crepe myrtles would be ringed with with low walls, like raised planters. Its intriguing, but it will double the cost of the pool and patios. The wall was re-pointed a few years ago, and the patio is in pretty good condition, just dirty!

Would it be too awkward to keep the elevations as they are?? This proposal will double the project costs...
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Need design advice regarding slopes

Discuss this with 3 pool builders and get their take.

He gets to mark up everything on the invoice so keep that in mind.

If all the PB's have the same concern you will know.

John
    AquaMaster Deluxe 8000 AGP, 5500 gallons, 12x18. Liquidator and Pool Rover JR.
    1st Pool so go easy on me I'm using a TF 100.

3. Back To Top    #3

Was there a reason to why he thought this needed to be done? Like getting equipment back there. If not it would just be personal preference

18x36 Vinyl, sports depth, 8' Roman steps at each end. Hayward 1.5hp 2speed pump, catridge filter, 2 skimmers, no main drain, 3 SR Smith Treo LED lights

4. Back To Top    #4

Its purely aesthetics -- I think he's a creative designer used to working with people with more money than me! That said, I don't want to be penny wise and pound foolish.

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide

The idea is intriguing. I would say it's not just aesthetics because it's hard to underestimate the value of having a large continuous area of decking around the pool and up to the house. It would certainly be pleasant the way you planned, but could be awesome the new way. It will also be all new. I would not do it if you are going to be there long term (15 plus years). I say this only partly in jest, it's only money. I mean, if you can afford it, there are worse ways to spend money, investing in family time and being THE entertaining house. But it has to be for you. If you have large parties, wide open specs work really well.

Before our pool, I had a guy with a great eye for design suggest leveling an area for our basketball court. Can't believe the transformation it made.
    18'x38' Rectangle (3'-8 1/2' deep w/ diving board) - 27K gal. w/ gray plaster
    Hayward equipment (cartridge filter, 2-speed pump, SWCG, automation) View Our Build
    Coverstar automatic pool cover | StoneMakers concrete retaining wall and decking
    Spring 2013 Build | Dolphin Active 20 robot cleaner | Support TFP!

6. Back To Top    #6

bmoreswim, I love your pool, and you managed your grades exemplar-arily! sp? I haven't contacted your landscaper, but a competing company. I know its a better design, but its also a huge price hit for us.

7. Back To Top    #7

I love your area. I also like spaces with differing heights to add interest. If you decide to keep with your original plan, I would definitely cut a walkway through your brick wall, add 2-3 wide stairs up to the pool area.
    Replastered 2015: Sunstone Quartz Midnight Blue 16x32 rectangular gunite with in-pool spa....18,000 gallons. Autopilot Total Control System with SWG and acid pump. Pentair Clean & Clear 420. Auto cover. TF-100.

8. Back To Top    #8

TFP Guide

Thanks for the nice words. Our PB is a designer at heart. He can also do your walls out of concrete like ours cheaper than block. It can look oretty cool. Walls that go up from the pool versus down create a great enclosing/cozy feeling without actually making it small. James and I got along great.

I do get the budget thing though. But since you are contemplating it means it's a possibility. Will be very interesting to see the other quotes.

PM me if you want to see it in person some time. It's backwards from yours though.
    Hayward equipment (cartridge filter, 2-speed pump, SWCG, automation) View Our Build
    Coverstar automatic pool cover | StoneMakers concrete retaining wall and decking

9. Back To Top    #9

TFP Guide

Any further discussions with PB's or landscape designers? Or thoughts about what you might do?