Pre-construction planning. My grass!!!

jmt079

Aug 7, 2015
Greenville, SC
Hi all! Our pool construction is scheduled to start in February and my inquiry is about my yard. Yes, I'm aware it will be torn to shreds. We have worked hard on our lawn and have beautiful, thick, zoysia growing. It is a warm weather grass and goes completely dormant in the winter, and we are in zone 7-8. Has anyone had any experience or knowledge of taking up a lawn in sod squares/strips and saving it to lay back down after construction is complete? Technically speaking(I don't mind the extra work of taking it up if it can be laid back down), would this effort be pointless with a warm weather grass? Should we just re-seed in March?

If you don't mind the labor to take it up, and then keeping it covered and possibly moist (?) it would be worth your while, IMO. Our zoysia has really yet to recover from the abuse of all the heavy machinery we had in the back yard. And in addition, all that machinery damaged the sprinkler system and some damaged french drains we previously had..... it takes a while to recover unless you're hiring a professional landscaper to be in charge. We're too poor for *that* darn it!

Hi all! Our pool construction is scheduled to start in February and my inquiry is about my yard. Yes, I'm aware it will be torn to shreds. We have worked hard on our lawn and have beautiful, thick, zoysia growing. It is a warm weather grass and goes completely dormant in the winter, and we are in zone 7-8. Has anyone had any experience or knowledge of taking up a lawn in sod squares/strips and saving it to lay back down after construction is complete? Technically speaking(I don't mind the extra work of taking it up if it can be laid back down), would this effort be pointless with a warm weather grass? Should we just re-seed in March?

is your PB responsible for repairing the lawn and landscaping? that should be in the contract unless it was removed. they should be responsible to restore everything back to original condition. if its your responsibility, I would probably just re-sod after. zoysia is pretty cheap, at least here, runs about $0.50 per s.f. delivered. cutting it up and trying to store it sounds like more work than it worth

There is a machine you can rent that will cut it up into strips. Would have to price the cost of saving compared to just buying some new sod. I personally just used a metal rake and started peeling back the grass into as big a pieces as I could and placed them around the pool once it was finished.

Thanks! All good advice. Our builder does not replace grass. Just tears it up, put the pool in, and go. I agree it may be easier just to re-sod. I'm a big fan of instant gratification, and if I can find it for 50 cents a square foot, that would be the way to go. I'd probably spend more renting the cutter :/ I'd also be worried that the grass wouldn't regrow even after all that work. Thanks for the input!

Might depend on the time of year and how long the pool build takes. . With some grass, after about 4 to 8 weeks it will have either died or rerooted where it is. I recently did this qith st. Augustine with a landscape project. We salvaged about 60 pct after several weeks.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.