Jul 31, 2015
Windham, NH
I'm in the process of slamming my pool and having trouble with the correct bleach to use. Purchased Great Value brand at Walmart and other than scented/ concentrated they had what is labeled at Cleaning Bleach. I used the amount suggested by pool math and doubled the FC that it should have brought me to for shock level. Running out to buy more bleach but want to make sure I'm using the right stuff.

Cleaning bleach has been reported as only 3 or 4%. you need to adjust the % in pool math.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm in the process of slamming my pool and having trouble with the correct bleach to use. Purchased Great Value brand at Walmart and other than scented/ concentrated they had what is labeled at Cleaning Bleach. I used the amount suggested by pool math and doubled the FC that it should have brought me to for shock level. Running out to buy more bleach but want to make sure I'm using the right stuff.

Weird. Must have been out of the regular, concentrated bleach. BTW concentrated is fine, just make sure there is no additives like scents and stuff.

- - - Updated - - -

Wonder if the gallons of pool volume is off?

The concentrated is just the higher percentage. 8.25%.
Clorox decided at some point to make the bottles smaller (121oz instead of 128oz) and change the concentration to 8.25% from 6%.
They probably raised the price too for the new "concentrated" stuff!

Most of the store brands followed along. Marketing. Gotta love it.

Great value just recently brought back the 128oz 6% and called it "cleaning bleach".
The 8.25% is usually the better value though. (as long as it's not splashless or scented)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
FC level dropped from 15 to 12 over night and CC level remains at 1. Still SLAMing but have to leave the pool for the day. Any suggestions on what I can do before leaving so I'm not undoing all that I've done the past several days? Feels like the pool is never going to get to where it needs to be. My CYA level is at 39. Once I add more bleach to increase FC to 15 to maintain shock level it's just going to fall while gone all day. Pool is in full sun during mid day.

You can always put extra in. It will get used by the sun quicker but that's better than it dropping too far while you're gone.

- - - Updated - - -

You can always put extra in. It will get used by the sun quicker but that's better than it dropping too far while you're gone. According to extended chart, you are safe up to 23ppm for short periods of time.

http://www.troublefreepool.com/threads/2177-Chlorine-CYA-Chart

I was going to start a thread on this and have been researching bleaches on the forum. That turned a 15 minute trip to Wal Mart into an hour plus as I was pulling MSDS sheets on different brands.

Many bleaches had a range and stated that due to trade secrets the exact percentage can not be given.

My conclusion - if I am going to pay ~$2 per bottle for something that has a range of 1-4 or even 1-6 % chlorine I might as well go to the dreaded pool store and get the $4/128oz 12.5% mixture. Plus I will have a more accurate time using pool math.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use Target Up & Up, Walmart Great Value, and Chlorox. All of them are labeled with the percent. But I have noticed that "easy pour", splashless, scented, etc. are not labeled with the percentage, but of course no one should be using these in their pool.

In general, I'd say if it's not labeled, then don't buy it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.